No. 8 Rutgers men's lacrosse rolls against Hofstra for 2nd straight win

A hat trick from senior attacker Brian Cameron helped the Rutgers men's lacrosse team defeat Hofstra to claim its eighth win in nine games this season.  – Photo by Mike Lawerence / Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers men’s lacrosse team continued its non-conference schedule with another double-digit win, earning a 22-10 win over Hofstra in Hempstead, New York, yesterday afternoon. The No. 8 Scarlet Knights (8-1, 0-0) scored 10 unanswered goals to begin the game and maintained a lead of 9 goals or more throughout the second half.

The scoring came early for Rutgers, with junior faceoff specialist Jonathan Dugenio scoring straight off a win on the opening draw of the game. 

Junior attacker Ross Scott would score just 12 seconds later, and senior midfielders Ryan Gallagher and Mitch Bartolo would follow up to give the Knights a 4-0 lead after just 3 minutes of action.

Those goals were the front end of a 10-0 Rutgers scoring run that extended into the middle of the second quarter, with the Pride (4-5, 0-0) finally putting it to an end with just more than 8 minutes left in the first half.

The Knights would score 3 of the next 4 goals to go into the halftime break up 13-2.

Hofstra cut the lead to single digits with a pair of goals to start the third quarter before Rutgers responded with a 7-1 scoring run, capped off by a man-up goal from Bartolo that gave the Knights a 20-5 lead, its largest of the game.

The Pride would score 5 of the last 7 goals of the game, but the rally came up short as Rutgers walked away with its third double-digit victory of the season.

Goals came from up and down the roster, with 17 different players getting on the scoresheet in the win. Senior attacker Brian Cameron led the Knights with 3 goals while Scott led the team in points with 2 goals and two assists.

It was a team effort in goal for Rutgers, who played five different goalkeepers in the win. Senior goalkeeper Colin Kirst started and played the entire first half, saving five shots and allowing just 2 goals before being pulled at halftime.

Senior goalkeeper and Providence transfer Toby Burgdorf played the entire third quarter, allowing 4 goals and making three saves.

Freshman goalkeeper Ellis Stedfast, senior goalkeeper Stephen Russo and sophomore goalkeeper Liam Gray combined to play the fourth quarter.

The Knights have now won 8 of 9 games in non-conference play, marking their best performance in that category since 2017

Rutgers will open up conference play this weekend with a home game against No. 7 Ohio State, the program's second top 10 matchup of the season.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.