Three students share their thoughts on Rutgers crime alert system, feelings of safety on campus

Some students expressed they are are comfortable with the current crime alert system while others think more police presence can be implemented. – Photo by HenryW

Rutgers students have expressed mixed feelings on how safe they feel at the University with the Rutgers University Police Department’s (RUPD) crime alert system and how it helps students be more aware of the criminal activity that occurs in the surrounding area.

Dajin Lee, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, said she thinks the RUPD can take additional measures to increase safety and create a more secure environment, specifically on the College Avenue campus.

“I live on (the College Avenue campus), so I think I’m more precautious than I used to be when I lived on other campuses, and I try not to go around the George Street area when I’m by myself at night,” she said. “But on other campuses, I feel really safe.”

Lee also said that for the most part, she has not received many crime alerts for crimes that occur on other campuses. Though, for the College Avenue campus, she would like to see more of a police presence near the University Center at Easton Avenue Apartments and off-campus areas where many students are present.

She said her perception of how safe she is while living on-campus is generally not affected when crime alerts are issued frequently, due to being accustomed to receiving the alerts in the area.

“At this point, it’s not really a surprise because we’re so used to crime alerts here,” Lee said.

Though, she also said she feels the crime alert system is sufficient and makes her feel safer being on-campus at times when follow-up crime alerts are sent out that say the RUPD has found the perpetrators from earlier crime alerts.

William Smith, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said that because many of the incidents take place off-campus and the RUPD is limited in what they can do, he said he thinks the RUPD does a good job spreading the awareness of crimes to the Rutgers community.

“I appreciate (the RUPD) notifying us,” he said. “The amount of (crime alerts) can be a little annoying at times, but I think they’re necessary.”

Smith also said he thinks the current crime alert system is sufficient, as it is important that the RUPD continues to notify the Rutgers community of every incident that occurs. He said he thinks this because if the RUPD attempted to hide the incidents or make the dangers seem less important, it would be unfair and less safe for students.

He also said that due to the crime alert system, he ultimately feels safe living on-campus, and he knows to avoid going too far off of campus at night.

Christopher Castro, a School of Engineering first-year, said he thinks the current crime alert system and current amount of police presence on-campus are sufficient enough for the University to maintain safety.

Castro said he still feels safe when receiving crime alerts because when he walks around campus, he knows to surround himself with many people and remain alert of his surroundings when out, particularly at night.

He said he thinks if there is anything the University can do to change its current system to increase safety for students, it would be to increase RUPD patrol. Though, he said he already feels safe enough with the way the system currently works.

“For people that don’t (feel safe), maybe just walk around in groups, don’t stay out too late and if you are going to stay out late, tell a couple of friends where you are,” Castro said.