Rutgers men's basketball bests Nebraska 93-65

Rutgers extended its winning streak to four games with its win over Nebraska. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers men’s basketball team defeated Nebraska 93-65 in it’s fourth consecutive win and third conference win of the 2021-22 season. 

The Scarlet Knights (9-5, 3-1) dominated throughout the length of the game. The Cornhuskers (6-10, 0-5) held a few small leads in the first half, with their largest lead of only 5 points. 

Rutgers’ lead held strong through the remaining minutes of the first to leave them with a 44-31 lead by the half. 

Many of the Knights were highlighted in their efforts against Nebraska. Senior guard Ron Harper Jr. and junior guard Paul Mulcahy each had impressive outings with Harper putting up 15 points in the first half. In addition, Rutgers had incredible performances from their bench, with sophomore forward Aundre Hyatt putting up 8 points off the bench.

In the second half, the Knights ran away with the lead where the team's biggest lead of the night stretched 30 points. 

For the Cornhuskers, Derrick Walker and Bryce McGowens combined 29 points on the game but their efforts could not compete with the high-scoring and energetic Rutgers team. 

Harper had a stunning 29 points against Nebraska, just one point shy of tying his season high of 30 points. Hitting 50 percent of his 3-point shots, the 21-year-old was a standout on the court. Along with Harper, sophomore forward Dean Reiber had a strong night with 10 points off the bench.

On top of their victory, the Knights had other things to celebrate. Sophomore guard Aiden Terry made his season debut after it was announced that he has received a full scholarship for his athletic and academic endeavors. Getting to play in the last 3 minutes of the game, Terry picked up three rebounds and an assist. 

Rutgers will look to extend their winning streak when they face Penn State on Tuesday. The matchup will be available to watch on the Big Ten Network.

"My team is playing good basketball right now," said head coach Steve Pikiell. "I have a ton of respect for Nebraska, that's a good team. We rebounded well today and shared the game. We continue to really pass the basketball. The team did a great job. Everyone that checked into the game gave us good minutes. It was a big game for us today." 

For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.