EDITORIAL: Targum editorial board shares their favorite winter break activities

The Daily Targum's editorial board prepares for a well-earned winter break after a hectic semester

Winter break is around the corner and with it come hours of free time. – Photo by Pixabay.com

After a long semester — the first one back on campus after more than a year — we have all earned a vacation from Rutgers buses, class schedules and exams. We hope everyone enjoys the holiday season, and we are looking forward to returning in the new year to continue delivering the latest news from campus.

Before that, The Daily Targum's editorial board is taking the time to relax and recharge over break. Here is what our team had to say about their winter plans:

Hayley Slusser, editor-in-chief: "As someone who is graduating in January (fingers crossed!), the next few weeks seem less like a break and more like my last hurrah before becoming a full-fledged adult. After such a hectic semester, I am excited to relax at home, catch up with friends and drink copious amounts of peppermint tea in bed before reluctantly returning to the real world."

Maddie McGay, managing editor: "As of now, I do not really have a lot of concrete plans for my winter break. I am excited to use this time to relax after such a busy semester and being in person for the first time in so long. I am also looking forward to being able to focus on spending time with friends and family without being consumed by assignments and work. I think it is important to decompress and prepare for the second half of the academic year."

Tori Yeasky, news editor: "I think the best way to spend winter break is to relax and really just focus on doing things that make you happy. I plan on catching up with my hometown friends, spending time with my brother and family, shopping, traveling, eating good food, adventuring and having the best time that I can before the next semester. I love the energy of the holiday season or early winter so I am really looking forward to experiencing that!"

Joanne Chung, associate news editor: "I think it is a good idea to make a small list of things you want to do during break, whether they be work-related or leisure, and plan out your break accordingly. I intend to focus on writing my thesis while reconnecting with some of my favorite hobbies like reading and playing games with family."

Alice Militaru, opinions editor: "I plan to spend winter break baking as much as I can, spending postcards to my family in Romania and taking long walks in what I can only hope will be chilly weather. I think the best way to spend a break is to do as little as possible for as long as possible. There will be plenty of time for to-do lists and schedules. As the name implies, you should take a break."

Laney Ortiz, sports editor: "I think the best way to spend winter break is by relaxing as much as you can. Unfortunately, we are not given many breaks during the semester so I plan on spending my month off in the most relaxed state possible. Hang out with your friends from home, your family and your pets to prepare yourself for spring semester."

Dylan McCoy, associate sports editor: "Over the winter break, I plan to relax and spend time with my family. Often during the semester, weekends were spent catching up on work and other responsibilities, so family time was very limited. I know next Sunday I will be home in Spotswood, New Jersey watching the Giants game with my family. I am also excited for the holidays and to put the craziness of 2021 in the rearview mirror."

Nicole Falcone, copy editor: "Over break, I am going to be working at a glassblowing studio in Asbury Park as a gallery assistant. It is my fourth year and final season working there, and I always have the best time from seeing beautiful glass art be created to the plethora of characters that come in and all the life advice I receive. I think the best way to spend break is by socializing past academic pursuits and enjoying whatever magical snowfalls come, all while wearing dramatic winter coats and bringing back the sparkle that the semester has drained."

Vy Nguyen, associate copy editor: "I really believe in work-life balance, and part of that is taking time off to relax. This break, I am actively going to be making space between myself and school to work on my mental health and spend time with my friends and family. In the meantime, maybe I will read and watch the new season of 'Selling Sunset.'"

Nadia Rahim, photo editor: "I plan on having a stress-free winter break where I find a happy medium between productivity and relaxation. I hope to work on my portfolio, catch up on some 'Grey’s Anatomy,' and end break on a well-needed vacation to Florida. Some of the best ways to spend break are to do stuff you did not get the chance to do over the semester like spending time with family and old friends, picking up a new hobby or simply doing nothing."

Sakina Pervez, associate photo editor: "During this winter break I am excited to get back to reading and relaxing. It is hard to do the things you appreciate during the semester and I am looking forward to having a less stressful time. The best way to spend break is definitely spending time with your friends and family, picking up a new book or even catching up on the sleep you have missed."

Rania Rizvi, features editor: "After a long semester, I plan on spending winter break binge watching K-dramas on my mental watch list, taking trips to New York City to visit Winter Village with friends and family and (maybe) finally get around to looking for jobs for post- graduation. I think the best way to spend break is by genuinely recharging your energy, in whatever way that means to you. If that means reading, spending time alone or going out and having fun with friends, do it. Rest is necessary for mental wellness and spending it in the way you best see fit will help you feel ready to tackle the upcoming spring semester."

Tarana Parekh, video editor: "The best way to spend winter break is to recharge and allow yourself the opportunity to do things you enjoy in a stress-free environment. Spend time with friends, reconnect with your hobbies and indulge in your favorite movie and tv shows."

Jonny Berkowitz, associate video editor: "Currently, my winter break looks like a mix of working at my restaurant job, walking my dog and doing more video production related stuff. I kind of want to go on a road trip but that is definitely not going to happen. Happy holidays! Spend winter break doing the things you did not have the time to do during the semester."

Hezekiel Poluan, social media editor: "For this winter break, I plan to unwind as much as possible. This semester has been hectic with returning to campus after a year or so of being gone, and adjusting was much harder than I thought. I will likely be traveling a little to be in a new environment while also meeting with friends that I have not had any time to be with over this semester. I am mainly excited to not think much about school and have the time to focus on myself."

The Daily Targum's editorials represent the views of the majority of the 153rd editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.