Rutgers wrestling sweeps weekend quad meet

Sophomore 285-pounder Boone McDermott and the Rutgers wrestling team had a dominant showing in North Carolina, winning all three matches in their quad meet this weekend.  – Photo by Rutgers Wrestling / Twitter

The strong start continued on Saturday for the Rutgers wrestling team, as it swept a quad meet for the second week in a row in Davidson, North Carolina.

The Scarlet Knights (6-0, 0-0) defeated Clarion 27-10 in the first meet of the day, following it up with a 34-6 win against the host team Davidson and a 39-3 win over UT-Chattanooga. Rutgers finished the day with seven wrestlers going undefeated — with four of them doing so while wrestling in all three matches. 

In the opening meet, the Knights took 7 of 10 matches from the Golden Eagles (2-1, 0-0), opening up a 15-0 lead through the first four matches. Rutgers saw its first upset of the day when freshman 157-pounder Robert Kanniard dropped a 7-3 decision to Trevor Elfvin.

Clarion followed up on that win with the biggest upset of the day with a 12-6 decision from John Worthing over seventh-ranked sophomore 174-pounder Jackson Turley.

The Knights had a similarly dominant second meet against the Wildcats (0-3, 0-0). The first half of the meet was particularly lopsided, with all five wrestlers winning by either major decision or tech fall.

Davidson responded with a pair of narrow decisions over freshman 149-pounder Andrew Clark and freshman 174-pounder Connor O’Neill before Rutgers capped it off with a major decision from freshman 184-pounder John Poznanski, a 1:27 fall from freshman 197-pounder Kyle Epperly and a 9-2 decision from junior 285-pounder Alex Esposito.

In the rubber meet of the day against the Mocs (2-2,1-0), the Knights took the first five matches before Clark dropped his second straight to Weston Wichman.

O’Neill and Poznanski grabbed a pair of decisions, graduate student 197-pounder Greg Bulsak won by forfeit and 29th ranked sophomore 285-pounder Boone McDermott got a fall over UT-Chattanooga’s Grayson Walthall to wrap up the meet.

After sweeping their first two quad meets of the season to start the 2021-2022 season, Rutgers will have the weekend off. That sets the stage for a Thanksgiving weekend tri-meet in Newark, where the Knights will square off against Hofstra and No. 16 North Carolina in the Garden State Grapple event.

For updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.