Rutgers women's soccer advances to Big Ten Tournament final with 2-0 victory over Iowa

Senior forward Amirah Ali was named to the All-Big Ten First Team. – Photo by Samantha Cheng

The Rutgers women’s soccer team used a strong second half to capture a 2-0 victory over Iowa on Thursday in Piscataway, securing its spot in the Big Ten Tournament title game, where it will host No. 3 seed Michigan. 

The Hawkeyes (12-6-2, 5-4-1), the No. 5 seed coming off of an upset victory in East Lansing, Michigan over Michigan State to open the tournament, played a solid opening half at Yurcak Field, keeping the Scarlet Knights (17-2-0, 10-0-0) off the board. The teams were even in shots, while Iowa notched the lone corner kick of the period.

After a slow start to the game, the second half saw Rutgers show why they were able to claim the first regular season Big Ten title in school history. In the 66th minute, it was sophomore forward Allison Lowrey who broke the scoreless tie, beating Macy Enneking for her sixth goal of the season, off of an assist from freshman forward Riley Tiernan.

While Iowa remained on the attack seeking an equalizer, senior forward and All-Big Ten First Team member Amirah Ali put the game out of reach with an unassisted goal in the 81st minute, her ninth of 2021.

Senior goalkeeper Meagan McClelland pitched yet another shutout for the Knights, that is now one win from a perfect season in Big Ten play, while the offense secured a seven-shot advantage in the second half of Thursday's action. Rutgers has now shutout five consecutive opponents, and are on a program-record 13-game winning streak.

The Knights now await a Sunday meeting for the conference crown with the Wolverines (14-3-3, 6-2-2), who scored a decisive 4-1 victory over Purdue in the other semifinal contest yesterday afternoon. The game will be played at Yurcak Field since Rutgers is the highest remaining seed and hosted both semifinal matches. 

The Knights previously defeated the Wolverines 4-1 on Oct. 6. 

"Advancing means a lot to us. We've been preparing from the beginning of preseason, and we've had our goals in mind,” said sophomore forward Sam Kroeger. “It's great to be hosting. All of our friends and families are local, and they can come support us throughout the games."

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.