Rutgers women's soccer remains undefeated in Big Ten play with win over Minnesota

The Rutgers women’s soccer team remains undefeated in Big Ten play this season after defeating Minnesota 2-1.  – Photo by Tom Gilbert

The Rutgers women’s soccer team won another Big Ten road win, this time against Minnesota, keeping their perfect conference record.

The No. 9 Scarlet Knights (8-2, 3-0) added 2 points to their season tonight. Four Rutgers players contributed to scoring in this 2-1 win, making this game their fourth successive win.

Senior midfielder/forward Frankie Tagliaferri opened the scoring early with an assist from fellow senior midfielder/forward Amirah Ali at the 8-minute mark. Tagliaferri played her 100th career game, made her eighth goal of the season and scored the 100th point of her career. Ali also recorded her 18th career assist and fifth of the season. She has now surpassed former Knight Carli Lloyd.

The Gophers (5-3-3, 1-3-0) tied the game later in the first half with a solo goal from McKenna Buisman, her first of the season.

Tied going into the second half, the Knights regained the lead with a goal from junior back Allison Lynch. Sophomore midfielder/forward Sam Kroeger assisted the goal, her second assist of the season. Senior goalkeeper Meagan McClelland also tied a personal season-high with five saves this game, aiding in the win.

This week brought many accolades to the Rutgers team, including Big Ten Player of the Week and Athletic Director's Excellence awards for senior back/midfielder Gabby Provenzano and the Werblin award for Ali.

Provenzano and Tagliaferri were nominated as candidates for the CLASS award, an acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School. This award recognizes NCAA Division 1 seniors or graduate students that excel on and off the field.

Provenzano, who was also previously named a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar honoree, has aided the Knights in five shutouts this season and has held every opponent to single-digit shots on goal for 37 games straight dating back to 2019.

Tagliaferri has started all 10 games with the organization and leads the team and conference in points and goals. She is also decorated in the classroom with a CoSIDA Academic All-America, CoSIDA Academic All-District, Academic All-Big Ten and is a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar honoree.

Rutgers will hit the road again on Oct. 3 to play Ohio State. The game will be streamed on the Big Ten Network.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.