Rutgers women's soccer defeats Ohio State 2-1

After giving up an early goal to Ohio State, the Rutgers women's soccer team scored twice to defeat their Big Ten rivals 2-1 in Columbus, Ohio. – Photo by Tom Gilbert

The Rutgers women’s soccer team remains undefeated in conference play with their 2-1 win against Ohio State. The No. 9 Scarlet Knights (9-2, 4-0) are now on a five-game win streak.

The Buckeyes (7-5-1, 2-2-1) kicked off the scoring with a goal from Kailyn Dudukovich, on of Ohio State's top goal scorers. Kitty Jones-Black assisted the 13th-minute goal.

Rutgers responded in the 35th minute as senior midfielder/forward Frankie Tagliaferri found space to score past Bailey Kolinski to even the game at 1-1. Freshman midfielder Kylie Daigle and sophomore forward Allison Lowrey assisted Tagliaferri.

The Knights later solidified their grasp on the game by scoring just 8 minutes later. Lowrey and freshman forward Gia Girman found sophomore forward/midfielder Giana Romano, who recorded the game-winning goal for Rutgers. This also marks Romano’s first career goal and Girman’s first career assist.

Senior goalkeeper Meagan McClelland also recorded five saves, tying her season-high for a single game. The Knights are now the only undefeated team in Big Ten conference play this season.

“We pulled together as a team for our common goal: to win. Everyone on the field had a great mentality and put in great shifts," said sophomore midfielder Sara Brocious. "The energy on and off the field pushed us to the end. This team is something special and we proved it today."

Rutgers’ defense has proven to be durable this season, and in Big Ten play, it’s no different. The Knights are tied with Indiana for second-fewest goals allowed, with 3 across 4 games played.

This past week, three Rutgers players were recognized for their commitment to soccer and the classroom. Senior forward/midfielder Amirah Ali was given the Werblin award for her national recognition, and senior back/midfielder Gabby Provenzano was awarded the CLASS award alongside Tagliaferri.

Provenzano was also given the Athletic Director’s Excellence award for her outstanding soccer performance and GPA for the last four years.

The Knights will come back home at 1 p.m. this Wednesday to face Michigan. The game will be streamed on the Big Ten Network.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.