Rutgers volleyball set to take on Maryland

Fifth-year senior middle back Shealyn McNamara and senior setter Inna Balyko look to help the Rutgers volleyball team end its losing streak as it faces Maryland tonight. – Photo by Olivia Thiel

Just four days removed from its latest game, the Rutgers women’s volleyball team will travel to College Park, Maryland to take on Maryland tonight at 6 p.m.

The Scarlet Knights (8-11, 0-8) were unable to snap their month-long losing streak this past weekend, as they dropped their matchups to No. 15 Penn State and No. 7 Ohio State. 

The Terrapins (15-5, 3-5) come into the game having split their weekend matchups against Michigan and Michigan State, being swept by the Wolverines (11-6, 4-4) but defeating the Spartans (8-9, 1-7) in four sets.

Through 20 games, Maryland is currently hitting 0.226 as a team while averaging 11.37 assists, 12.3 kills, 3.17 blocks, 1.46 aces and 15.93 digs per set. The Terrapins’ 3.17 blocks per set currently leads the entire conference. 

Their strong defense is led by Rainelle Jones who is averaging 1.85 blocks per set and Milan Gomillion with 4.66 digs per set. Both players lead the Big Ten in those respective categories and have helped Maryland hold opponents to the third lowest hitting percentage in the conference at 0.150. Comparatively, Rutgers is currently hitting 0.190 which is the third lowest in the Big Ten. 

The Knights have been led by their senior core, including senior setter Inna Balyko who boasts 8.55 assists per set, fifth-year senior right side hitter Beka Kojadinovic who leads the team with 2.89 kills per set and fifth-year senior middle back Shealyn McNamara who has posted 1.23 blocks per set this season, good for 10th in the Big Ten. Sophomore libero Madyson Chitty has also stepped up, averaging 3.74 digs per set. 

Following its matchup in College Park, Rutgers will be on the move again, heading to Bloomington, Indiana to take on Indiana on Sunday. Sunday afternoon’s game will be the final matchup of the Knights’ four-game road trip, as they return to Piscataway on Oct. 29 to begin a four-game home stretch.

Tonight's' game will be nationally televised on the Big Ten Network.

For updates on the Rutgers volleyball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.