Rutgers volleyball looks toward two-game homestand

Senior setter Inna Balyko looks to add onto her 450 assists this season as the Rutgers volleyball team faces Indiana and Nebraska this weekend.  – Photo by Olivia Thiel

Seeking its first win since Sept. 17, the Rutgers women’s volleyball team returns to Piscataway this weekend for a two-game homestand against Indiana and Nebraska. Both matchups will take place at the Rutgers Athletic Center on Friday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m., respectively. 

In addition to attempting to break their five-game losing streak, the Scarlet Knights (8-7, 0-4), will also be looking to notch their first Big Ten win of the 2021 campaign. In 2020, Rutgers was able to win 6 of its 20 conference matchups, including four consecutive conference wins to end the season.

The Hoosiers (7-9, 1-3), like the Knights, are also on a losing streak, having dropped three consecutive matches, all to conference opponents.

The Cornhuskers (10-3, 4-0), have had a very different season in comparison to Indiana and Rutgers, boasting four conference wins as well as a ranked victory. 

Both opponents have standout players to watch out for during this weekend’s games, including Indiana’s Camryn Haworth, who is averaging the sixth most aces per set in the Big Ten with 0.41, and Nebraska’s Callie Schwarzenbach, who is averaging the eighth-most blocks per set in the Big Ten with 1.33.

The Cornhuskers’ Lindsay Krause also won Big Ten Freshman of the Week last week for her 3.86 kills, 1.00 digs and 0.43 blocks per set that week. 

The Knights’ veteran players have continued to step up, as fifth-year right side hitter Beka Kojadinovic just became the program’s rally-era leader in aces this past weekend, while senior setter Inna Balyko has provided 450 assists this season.

Following the two-game set at home, Rutgers will be on the road for the next two weeks, playing four games during that span, before another two-game homestand between Oct. 29 and Oct. 31. Both of this weekend’s matchups will be free of admission for fans and televised on the Big Ten Network+.

For updates on the Rutgers volleyball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.