Rutgers volleyball falls to Indiana in five-set battle

Fifth-year senior right side hitter Kamila Cieslik notched 16 digs against the Hoosiers.  – Photo by Olivia Thiel

The Rutgers women’s volleyball team dropped their match on Sunday, losing to Indiana in five sets. Despite the loss, the Scarlet Knights (8-13, 0-10) won two sets in a conference game for the first time this season. 

Rutgers lost the opening frame against the Hoosiers (9-13, 3-7) before winning back-to-back sets for the first time in conference play this season. The Knights went on to lose the fourth set to send the game to a decisive fifth set which they lost, 15-13.

Rutgers led 13-9 at one point in the fifth frame, and was just two points away from snapping its 10-game losing streak along with winning its first Big Ten game of the season, but Indiana rifled off 6 consecutive points to win the match. 

Offensively, the Hoosiers’ Breana Edwards and Camryn Haworth had game-highs of 27 kills and 51 assists respectively. Defensively, graduate student middle back Megan Vernon led the way by tying her career-high of eight blocks and Indiana’s Paula Cerame had a game-high 26 digs. 

The Knights were led in the match by fifth-year senior right side hitter Beka Kojadinovic, who registered a team-high 15 kills during the contest. Fifth-year senior right side hitter Kamila Cieslik provided a program-leading 16 digs, while senior setter Inna Balyko had 46 assists over the course of the match. 

With the loss, Rutgers has now lost both of its matchups to the Hoosiers this season and tied the program’s longest losing streak since 2019

Sunday’s game in Bloomington, Indiana marked the last of what has been a four-game road trip for the Knights, as they will make their way back to campus to start a four-game homestand beginning this Friday against Illinois. 

Rutgers is set to split its four home matchups at the Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC) on Livingston campus and the College Avenue Gym, with the first two games of the homestand being played at the RAC and the final two being played at the College Ave Gym. All home games are free to attend. 

Fo updates on the Rutgers volleyball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.