Rutgers field hockey defeats Indiana 1-0

The Rutgers field hockey team continued its top 10 season, defeating Indiana 1-0 with a late game-winning goal in Piscataway.  – Photo by Emma Garibian

It took almost 80 minutes, but the Rutgers field hockey team was able to fight off a potential upset with a 1-0 win over Indiana at the Bauer Track and Field Complex for their third overtime win of the season.

The game-winner came with just 30 seconds remaining in the final period of regulation. After the previous pass was briefly broken up, the ball came to freshman midfielder/forward Lucy Bannatyne, who fed it across the goal for senior midfielder Gianna Mancini to poke it home. This continues a strong run of form for Mancini, who now has 3 goals and one assist in her last four games.

The No. 6 Scarlet Knights (9-2, 2-1) had the bulk of the chances in this game, outshooting the Hoosiers (6-6, 0-4) by a 16-3 margin. Indiana’s defense was able to thwart Rutgers for much of regulation, with Arabella Loveridge posting six saves.

The only pressure the Hoosiers got in the game came late in the second half when they won a pair of corners and were able to get their only shot on goal, which was easily saved by senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz. This marks her second shutout of the season and lowered her goals-against average to just 1.07.

“We had to dig in and find a way to win today against a good Big Ten team in Indiana,” said head field hockey coach Meredith Civico following the double-overtime win. “I am proud of the effort in nearly an 80-minute battle, especially our response to Friday's result in a close loss to the No. 1 team in the country. We're excited to get back to work this week and get ready for Penn State.”

The win gives the Knights a bounce-back win following Friday afternoon’s 2-1 loss to No. 1 Iowa — currently their only Big Ten loss of the season. Rutgers is now 4th in the Big Ten standings, with only Iowa, Michigan and Penn State ahead of them at this point of the season. The conference features 7 ranked teams, 6 of which are in the top 10.

This also continues a strong start to the season for the Knights, who have won seven of nine ranked games on the season.

Having split this weekend’s pair of games, Rutgers now face top 10 opponents in their next two games — with a trip to No. 7 Nittany Lions (8-2, 3-1) on Friday followed up by a home matchup with No. 8 Maryland the following week.

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.