Sports desk roundtable: Our writers give their takes on Rutgers football's season so far

As the Rutgers football team enters its matchup with Michigan undefeated, The Daily Targum goes through their thoughts on the start of the season.  – Photo by Samantha Cheng

After the Rutgers football team's strong start to the season, going 3-0 for the first time in years, The Daily Targum's Sports writers share their opinions on how the team is doing and what their hopes are for the rest of this historic season.

Laney Ortiz: Head sports editor

Nothing makes me happier than seeing Rutgers sports succeed. The offense can be absolutely horrifying sometimes with their struggles in the passing game, but I try my best to be optimistic. My dreams of a bowl game by the time I am a senior are becoming more and more feasible every day and I hope that the Scarlet Knights (3-0, 0-0) can keep this momentum going into their Big Ten schedule.

Dylan McCoy: Associate sports editor

The Rutgers football team has brought a level of excitement to campus unseen since head football coach Greg Schiano left in 2011. The season opener was always bound to be packed with students, but the turnout for the Delaware game really impressed me and showed that the community is excited and ready to see the Knights be relevant again.

The defense has been the most exciting part of the game, with turnovers galore and the tone being set with high effort and lots of gang tackling. Saturday’s trip to Ann Arbor, Michigan could be a program-changing game and could see Rutgers get into the top 25 for the first time in years. Many thought that the hiring of Schiano would bring about a better era of football in Piscataway, but he has even exceeded expectations with a competitive Big Ten team in year two.

Eddie Kalegi: Contributing writer

Rutgers has been extremely impressive on both ends of the field so far this season, especially in last Saturday’s victory over Delaware. Senior quarterback Noah Vedral had arguably the best game of his career as quarterback and made great use of the many weapons he has on offense.

The defense was solid yet again, holding their third consecutive opponent under 15 points and constantly pressuring Delaware quarterback Nolan Henderson. There are reasons to be optimistic entering the Big Ten slate, but starting on the road against Michigan will be a tough task for the defense, who at times has struggled to stop the run this season, and now must contend with one of the top ground-and-pound teams in the conference. 

Brian Delk: Contributing writer

Rutgers football is more fun than I thought it would be. As a first-year who hasn't experienced a college football atmosphere, it was a great way to get out with friends and watch our team win frequently. To see a team that I represent go out and steamroll every team they've played gives us all the more reason to cheer.

Gideon Fox: Sports correspondent

The Knights look like a football team. They have multiple options in their backfield, receivers who can get open downfield and most importantly a quarterback who began to show he can get the ball in their hand. On the other side of the ball, the defensive line is bulldozing its way to opposing signal-callers. A linebacker unit led by veterans and a special teams group receiving weekly accolades is a recipe for success. Now Rutgers has to bring it all together for Big Ten opponents. 

Ellis Gordon: Contributing writer

It is great to see the Knights chopping again. Schiano has this team playing clean hard football, and if they continue down this path a bowl game might be in their future. I can't wait for Rutgers to go to the Big House and upset Michigan. Willing it into existence. Also, you can't forget about future Ray Guy Award winner, senior punter Adam Korsak.

Sam Slackman: Contributing writer

Greg Schiano and his winning mentality are exactly what this program needed. His energy and enthusiasm are contagious.