Rutgers women's soccer to face Monmouth, La Salle over weekend

The Rutgers women's soccer team looks to stay undefeated this weekend as it faces two teams at home. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

After three wins to begin the season against Providence and Farleigh Dickinson, the Rutgers women’s soccer team hopes to defeat an undefeated Monmouth this Friday at 7 p.m., before its Sunday game at 1 p.m. against La Salle. Both games will take place at Yurcak Field.

The No. 16 Scarlet Knights (2-0, 0-0) is coming off a remarkable streak of high goal-scoring games after defeating the Friars 5-1 and the FDU Knights 6-0, racking up 11 goals in just two matches. While Rutgers has dominated all seasonal and preseason scrimmages, so have the Hawks (4-0, 0-0). Monmouth has also had a run of clean sheets, impeded by their previous game against Bucknell.

“As the season goes on, we're just going to build more and more chemistry, and we're going to get so much better,” said freshman forward Riely Tiernan.

The Scarlet Knights lead the Big Ten in assists at 14, and they sit second in the Big Ten for goals. Rutgers has also completed this feat in the fewest games played within the conference with two.

“I know we're hungry for more goals and that we want to keep creating and finishing our chances,” said sophomore midfielder/forward Sam Kroger, who scored a goal in both games.

Senior forward Frankie Tagliaferri added a career-high five points against Providence to her now nine-point season. Tagliaferri accumulated the most assists in the Big Ten this season, alongside Tiernan and other players.

Tiernan has also been recognized as the Big Ten Freshman Player of the Week, the first honor of her collegiate career. Tagliaferri was also named Co-Offensive Player of the Week after the team's win against the Friars.

From starting the season ranked last in the United Soccer Coaches preseason poll, the Scarlet Knights have proved predictions wrong and are now 16th in the nation.

Rutgers looks to secure two wins this weekend against some formidable opponents.

“We have a lot of momentum from the first two games, which we will keep building off of and learning from. We have to use that momentum to keep scoring goals and keep the shutouts going,” said sophomore back Emma Misal, who hopes to start yet another run of clean sheets for senior keeper Meagan McClelland and her teammates.

The Scarlet Knights are set to host the Hawks this Friday at 7 p.m., before Sunday at 1 p.m. when they will host the Explorers (1-1, 0-0). Both games will be free to attend and streamed on the Big Ten Network+.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter