Rutgers volleyball takes 2 of 3 in 9/11 Memorial Tournament

Senior setter Inna Balyko recorded the 700th dig of her career over the weekend as the Rutgers volleyball team won 2 of its 3 games at the Rutgers 9/11 Memorial Tournament.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

In its return to the Banks, the Rutgers women’s volleyball team displayed an impressive performance in front of the home crowd, winning 2 of 3 games in the Rutgers 9/11 Memorial Tournament.

The Scarlet Knights (7-2, 0-0) opened up the tournament on Friday with a sweep over NJIT before losing to NC State in five sets later that night. Rutgers finished the tournament strong with a sweep against Brown.

Even in the loss against the Wolfpack (5-4, 0-0), the Knights showed tenacity as they climbed their way out of a two-set deficit to force a fifth-set decider against NC State.

Senior setter Inna Balyko and senior right-side hitter Beka Kojadinovic both recorded double-doubles during the weekend, with Balyko coming up just shy of another double-double during Rutgers' win over the Highlanders (1-7, 0-0). Balyko also moved up into eighth place of the rally era’s all-time leaders in digs, now at more than 700 in her career.

Senior middle blocker Shealyn McNamara had another successful tournament, totaling 24 kills and 17 blocks over the course of the weekend en route to her second All-Tournament selection of the 2021 campaign.

Sophomore libero Madyson Chitty also stepped up, giving the Knights 43 digs during the weekend. Chitty has already been selected to one All-Tournament team this season.

Rutgers will now travel to Clemson, South Carolina, to participate in their fourth and final tournament of 2021 in the Big Orange Bash. This tournament will also mark the conclusion of non-conference play, with matchups including games against East Tennessee State and the host, Clemson. The games will take place on Sept. 17 at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m., respectively.

The Knights are set to return home in less than two weeks for their first Big Ten matchup of the season scheduled for Sept. 24 against Penn State. Rutgers will play 20 Big Ten games in all, with half of those at home and six taking place at the Rutgers Athletic Center.

For updates on the Rutgers volleyball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.