Rutgers men's soccer ties with Temple

Despite multiple opportunities to score in the second half, the Rutgers men's soccer team was held to a 0-0 draw against Temple on Monday night.  – Photo by Rutgers Men's Soccer / Twitter

The Rutgers men’s soccer team held on for a 0-0 draw against Temple at Yurcak Field on Monday night.

The game faced an early disruption in the 12th minute when play was suspended due to lightning in the area. After a delay of roughly 45 minutes, the game resumed at 8 p.m.

Once it did, the Scarlet Knights (1-0-1, 0-0-0) applied a wave of pressure on the Owls’ (0-0-2, 0-0-0) backline. After a few opportunities missing the target, Rutgers got its first shot on goal in approximately the 24th minute when sophomore forward Ola Maeland’s low shot was saved.

The Knights got another opportunity in the 32nd minute when the ball found the feet of senior forward Richie Barry, who shot the ball over the bar.

Rutgers got two quick opportunities in the 37th minute, where freshman defender Joey Zalinsky’s shot from the edge of the box fell right into the arms of Temple goalkeeper Eoin Gawronski. On the next possession, sophomore midfielder Jason Bouregy fired a shot that missed.

The Owls got an opportunity against the run of play in the 39th minute, where Xavier Rimpel’s shot in front of goal missed just wide of the post. 

Tempers flared in the 45th minute following a collision between junior midfielder Jackson Temple and Andres Charles. Following an exchange of words, referee Carmen Serbio issued a straight red to Temple and a yellow card for Mickael Borger. The Knights would have to play the remainder of the game down a man.

With the man advantage for an entire half, Temple started to apply pressure on the Rutgers' backline. The Owls got their best scoring opportunity of the second half in the 57th minute when Rimpel’s shot from the edge of the 6-yard box was saved in the bottom left corner by junior goalkeeper Oren Asher

The Knights nearly had a chance on goal in the 74th minute, when a through ball looked to have sprung freshman forward Nico Rosamilia through on goal, only for the play to be called back by the assistant referee for offsides.

In the 88th minute, Rutgers had a chance at a late go-ahead goal when Maeland got a chance through on goal, but the finish went right into the hands of Gawronski.

The Knights had a golden opportunity to win the game in the 98th minute when Rutgers was awarded a penalty. Rosamilia stepped up to take it, but the shot to the left side was saved by Gawronski. 

The Knights outshot the Owls by an 11 to 8 margin and had a 3 to 1 advantage in shots on goal. Rutgers returns to the field on Friday, when it hosts in-state rival Princeton at Yurcak Field.

For updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.