Oren Asher earns second consecutive Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week award

Junior goalkeeper Oren Asher has started all four games for the Knights during his back-to-back Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week stints. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers men’s soccer team only started their season two weeks ago, but that’s all it took for junior goalkeeper Oren Asher to win back-to-back Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week awards and a spot on the College Soccer News National Team of the Week.

The Big Ten award marks the fourth for Asher, who now has more Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week awards than any player in program history.

Asher has started all four games this season, leading the Scarlet Knights (3-0-1, 0-0-0) to an undefeated start to the 2021 season. His four straight shutouts have marked the best defensive start to the season that Rutgers has seen since 1990. He is the only goalkeeper in the country who hasn’t conceded a single goal through four games this season.

In last Friday’s win against Princeton, Asher had his season-high in saves with seven stops in the win. Two of those saves coming in the final 3 minutes of a game that the Knights won by a narrow 1-0 margin on the road.

Asher received several honors prior to the start of the fall 2021 season. Following a spring campaign that saw him post four shutouts and a 1.19 goals against average (GAA), Asher was the recipient of the Bob McNulty program MVP award alongside his first two Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week awards. Last month, he was also named as 1 of 3 Big Ten Players to Watch from the Knights.

The Israel native has started every game of all three seasons played on the banks, posting 11 career shutouts. As a freshman, he posted a GAA of 1.40, earning three shutouts in 18 starts.

Asher and Rutgers will return to the field on Friday when they host Lehigh in a non-conference matchup at Yurcak Field.

For updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.