No. 25 Rutgers women's soccer opens season with 6-0 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson

The Rutgers women’s soccer team scored six in its season opener against Fairleigh Dickinson. – Photo by Rutgers Women's Soccer / Twitter

The fall 2021 sports season got off to an exciting start, as the Rutgers women’s soccer team defeated Fairleigh Dickinson 6-0 in its opening game at Yurcak Field. The No. 25 Scarlet Knights (1-0-0, 0-0-0) dominated the game and the statistics, registering 26 shots compared to just two for the FDU Knights (0-1-0, 0-0-0).

Rutgers started the scoring early, with senior forward Amirah Ali netting the first goal just over 3 minutes into the game. This is the second consecutive season where Ali scored in the opening game, scoring two in a victory over Penn State in the 2020 opener.  Seven minutes later, senior midfielder Frankie Tagliaferri added her first goal on the Banks after transferring from Penn State in the offseason. 

The Scarlet Knights then got some scoring from their underclasswomen, as sophomores midfielder Sam Kroeger and forward Emily Sapienza added goals to end the first half, bringing a 4-0 lead into the break. 

In the second half, it was more of the same as sophomore Sara Brocious scored 4 minutes in. Freshman Riley Tiernan added the sixth and final goal in the 53rd minute, and Rutgers held on to keep the shutout for the whole 90 minutes.

Tagliaferri led the Scarlet Knights in scoring, adding two assists to her goal. Ali and Brocious both had multiple points with each recording one goal and one assist.

Senior goalkeeper Meagan McClelland recorded her first shutout of the season, stopping both shots on goal she faced. The 2020 All-Big Ten Second Team goalkeeper recorded seven shutouts in her 16 games in net last season.

Rutgers continues its season with a matchup against Temple on Sunday night, the second of a stretch of six home games that start the season for the Scarlet Knights.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.