New to Rutgers? Here are some events to look forward to

One of the most exciting parts about becoming a Scarlet Knight is getting to partake in all of the unique traditions on campus.  – Photo by Sakina Pervez

Immerse yourself in Rutgers' vibrant social scene by getting involved in club activities and events. With more than 750 student-led organizations, there's something exciting happening every day. Whether you're looking to make new friends or check things off your Rutgers bucket list, here’s a run-down on the biggest campus events every student needs to experience at least once.

Involvement Fair 

To kick off the semester, student organizations, sports clubs and intramural teams line up along the streets of the College Avenue campus to provide students an opportunity to check out all the extracurricular activities Rutgers has to offer. It’s the perfect event to meet new people, grab some freebies and sign up for clubs. From greek life to the quidditch team, there’s an organization to cater to all of your interests. This year, the fair will take place on Aug. 30 from 3 to 6 p.m. — make sure to stop by The Daily Targum’s booth!

Charity Bed Races

This popular Rutgers tradition, which takes place during homecoming week, involves students looking to show off their creativity as teams decorate a bed with a chosen theme before competing in a 100-yard dash to the finish line. Crowds gather on the College Avenue campus to show support for their favorite teams. Prizes are awarded for multiple categories, such as for the fastest team, best design, best team costumes and most contributions to charity.

Rutgers University Dance Marathon

Teams of students rally together each year to hold a 24-hour non-stop dance party to raise money for the Embrace Kids Foundation, a charity organization to support non-medical needs of children battling serious disorders. Dance Marathon is the largest, student-run philanthropic event in New Jersey, having raised over $10 million since its inception in 1999. This all-night party features a DJ, games and performances from students. 

Sporting events

Be sure to throw on your favorite jersey and cheer on your favorite Rutgers sports teams. Whether it's tailgating outside SHI Stadium for football games or painting the Rutgers Athletic Center on Livingston campus red for our nationally recognized men’s and women’s basketball teams, these events are sure to have you on the edge of your seat until the clock runs out. 

Rutgers Day

Each year, the University hosts a day filled with live performances, interactive displays and recreational activities that are open to all ages. Rutgers Day invites the public to explore the New Brunswick campuses and provides current students another opportunity to check out all of the ways they can get involved at the University. You can head to Cook campus to pet some farm animals, or take a bus over to the College Avenue campus for the best eats. 

Rutgers has a vast variety of exciting events to attend, and this list is just a starting point to get a feel of the social scene. There are hundreds of events that have become a part of Rutgers tradition, such as King Neptune Night and Hot Dog Day. Get involved in clubs that pique your interests and become a part of events that enrich campus culture!