Rutgers men's basketball faces staff changes

The Rutgers men’s basketball team continues to see changes in the roster and staff, as two staff members have taken jobs at other schools for the upcoming season.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

With just under four months until the college basketball season begins, the Rutgers men’s basketball team has undergone several changes to its coaching staff. The news was reported on Wednesday in a series of tweets from Asbury Park Press college basketball writer Jerry Carino.

First in the series of moves is the announcement that two staff members will be departing the Scarlet Knights for open positions in different programs. 

Greg Vetrone, who was once an assistant under previous head coach Eddie Jordan and served as the Director of Player Development under head men’s basketball coach Steve Pikiell, has accepted an offer to be an assistant at St. John’s University under head coach Mark Anderson.

“(Pikiell’s) decision to retain (Vetrone) during the transition from (Jordan) was a crucial move that helped get the regime off the ground,” Carino said in his tweet. “(Rutgers) fans should tip the hat.”

The second staff member to depart this offseason is the Director of Basketball Operations and Recruiting Ben Asher. 

Asher first joined Pikiell’s staff as a special assistant in 2016 and was recently acknowledged as one of the 30 most outstanding men’s college basketball coaches under 30 by the National Association of Basketball Coaches. Asher will join Jerrod Calhoun’s staff at Youngstown State as a recruiting assistant.

Accompanying these announcements is the promotion of Director of Basketball Administration T.J. Thompson. Thompson was previously a four-year starter and First Team All-Atlantic 10 Conference selection as a player under then-assistant coach Pikiell at George Washington University. Thompson will now serve as an assistant coach, replacing Steve Hayn. 

Hayn, who has 17 seasons of experience as a collegiate head coach, served as a senior advisor to Pikiell for three seasons before transitioning to assistant coach. As for his future in Piscataway, he is expected to remain with the program in some capacity. 

Amid the program’s coaching shuffle, Pikiell has been able to retain long-time assistants Karl Hobbs and Brandin Knight. Hobbs and Knight have served as assistant coaches under Pikiell for his entire tenure at Rutgers.

Despite these changes to the staff, the Knights will look to make their second consecutive NCAA Tournament next season.

For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.