Rutgers men’s basketball will face DePaul for Gavitt Tipoff Games

The Rutgers men’s basketball team will tip off against DePaul for the 12th time in school’s history at the 2021 Gavitt Games. – Photo by Rutgers Basketball / Twitter

In the program’s newest addition to the 2021-2022 schedule, the Rutgers men’s basketball team will face DePaul in the 2021 Gavitt Tipoff Games. The game is scheduled for Nov. 18 and will be a road game for the Scarlet Knights.

A series that began in 2015, the Gavitt Tipoff Games are a string of matchups between teams representing the Big East and Big Ten conferences. After the cancellation of the games due to coronavirus diseases (COVID-19) concerns last season, the series is set to resume its normal eight-game slate.

The early-season games are named after the late Dave Gavitt, founder of the Big East conference and member of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

As for Rutgers, this will be the first time the Knights have participated in the Gavitt Games since 2018. That year, Rutgers faced St. John’s and suffered an 84-65 defeat. The last victory the program had in the Gavitt Games came in 2016, where the Knights defeated their future opponent, the Blue Demons, 66-59. Rutgers leads the all-time series between the two programs 7-4.

The schedule is beginning to round into form for the Knights as the much-anticipated 2021-2022 season draws closer. Next season, the program will look to make its second consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance since the 1975-1976 season, a season where Rutgers reached its first and only Final Four appearance. 

So far, the program’s out-of-conference schedule now includes matchups against DePaul, UMass, Rider, Lehigh, Merrimack and Seton Hall. The Knights already learned their Big Ten conference opponents for next season with dates and times set to be revealed at a later date.

The start date for the 2021-2022 college basketball season is scheduled for Nov. 9 and the 2022 NCAA Tournament will begin on March 15, 2022 with the Final Four set to be held in New Orleans, Louisiana.

For updates on the Rutgers men’s basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.