Rutgers women's lacrosse set to take on Maryland

Sophomore defender Meghan Ball and the Rutgers women's lacrosse team are set for a ranked matchup against Maryland. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

After a short break, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team looks to get back in the win column on Thursday with a game against Maryland. Over the course of their two-week bye, the Scarlet Knights (3-5, 3-5) fell to No. 22 in the updated Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association poll

During the break, sophomore defender Meghan Ball was added to the Tewaaraton Award watch list. Ball’s play on the defensive side of the ball has been outstanding this season. Through eight games, Ball ranks third in the Big Ten in forced turnovers per game with 1.75. In addition, Ball leads the team in total draw controls (27), ground balls (19) and forced turnovers (14).

Ball will not be alone on this watch list, as she joins sophomore midfielder Cassidy Spilis. Under second-year head women's lacrosse coach Melissa Lehman, the Knights have the most regular-season wins in Big Ten Conference play since joining the division in 2015. 

This upcoming Thursday, Rutgers will look to add to that total as they take on the No. 9 Terrapins (5-3, 5-3). The last time the Knights took the field, the team dropped two games to conference opponent, Northwestern.

Throughout their weekend series with the Wildcats (9-0, 9-0), Rutgers battled until the final whistle but could not prevent Northwestern from going on occasional scoring runs. 

Maryland also recently lost to the Wildcats last Monday. The Terrapins' defense held Northwestern to just seven goals in the first half, but it could not hold on in the second. The Maryland defense is led by Tori Barretta, who in her last game, forced two turnovers. 

On the offensive side of the ball, the Terrapins will be bringing some scoring power of their own. Hannah Leubecker is coming off a game where she netted a hat trick, and Catie May notched a career-high three assists. 

This contest will take place in Maryland at on Thursday at 5 p.m., and will be televised on the Big Ten Network. 

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.