Rutgers women's lacrosse looks toward Penn State matchup

Sophomore defender Meghan Ball will look to help defeat a highly ranked opponent and end a six-game losing streak as the Rutgers women's lacrosse team faces Penn State. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Tomorrow, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team will look to add a win with a game against No. 7 Penn State.

The Nittany Lions (4-6, 4-6), coming off their win against No. 9 Maryland, will look to continue their success against another Big Ten conference opponent. In its 16-9 win on senior day, Penn State’s offense generated a 7-1 lead and never looked back. Led by Kristin O’Neill and Mary Muldoon, the Nittany Lions’ offense was too much for the Terrapins’ (6-4, 6-4) defense.

O’Neill notched a total of six points, including 5 goals, while Muldoon scored a career-high 5 goals. Penn State’s offensive prowess was not the only thing that stood out this game, as Lucy Lowe recorded 10 saves in the victory. 

The Scarlet Knights (3-7, 3-7) lost their last six games in a row, in addition to their last matchup against the Nittany Lions at the start of the season, which ended 20-11.

The last time these two teams squared off, Rutgers allowed Penn State to generate a 7-1 scoring run to finish off the game.

Sophomore midfielder Cassidy Spilis was all over the field for the Knights in the season opener. She netted a game-high four goals and forced four turnovers. In addition, sophomore defender Meghan Ball and the rest of the Rutgers defense will have their hands full against the Nittany Lions. 

Given the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic and social distancing guidelines, there were not as many fans in attendance. According to Big Ten and state policies, SHI Stadium will be able to function at fifteen percent occupancy for the Knights' final two home games.

Rutgers has already broken the regular season win record but will look to defeat a rival in their upcoming game. This game will be streamed at 3 p.m. on BTN Plus.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.