Rutgers softball falls to Wisconsin in four-game series

Sophomore infielder Payton Lincavage hit a two-run home run in Sunday's matchup against Wisconsin.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

On Sunday, the Rutgers softball team finished its weekend series against Wisconsin. The Badgers (12-16, 12-16), took all four games against the Scarlet Knights (6-22, 6-22).

Rutgers started its series on Friday, losing 8-0 in six innings. Wisconsin jumped to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first on a leadoff home run by Peyton Bannon and added another run in the top of the third. The game remained 2-0 until the top of the sixth, when the Badgers scored six runs on five hits to take an 8-0 lead. After a scoreless bottom of the sixth inning by the Knights, the game ended 8-0.

Graduate student utility player Gabrielle Callaway went 1-3 in the loss and sophomore pitcher Ashley Hitchcock got the start, pitching five innings and striking out three Wisconsin players.

On Saturday, Rutgers and the Badgers played in a doubleheader. Wisconsin took both games 5-0 and 9-1 respectively.

The first game of the doubleheader went very similarly to the previous game. The Badgers jumped to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning, thanks to another leadoff home run by Bannon, before putting up two runs in both the fifth and sixth innings to win the game 5-0.

Graduate student pitcher Izzy Berouty got the start, pitching six innings and striking out a season-high five Wisconsin players. Despite being blanked on the scoreboard, freshman outfielder Leilani Chavez had a productive day for the Knights, going 2-3 with a double.

In the second game of the doubleheader, the Badgers continued their dominance with a 9-1 win. Wisconsin continued the trend of scoring runs early as it put up three runs in the first and two runs in the second to jump to a 5-0 lead. In the bottom of the second, Rutgers snapped its 14 innings scoreless streak when Chavez hit a triple to drive in pinch-runner sophomore outfielder Aleeah Randazzo.

That would be the only run the Knights were able to tack on as the Badgers scored four more runs to win the game 9-1. Hitchcock and sophomore pitcher Jaden Vickers combined for nine strikeouts in the losing effort.

On Sunday, Rutgers played its final game of the series. The Knights took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second when sophomore infielder Payton Lincavage hit a two-run home run. Wisconsin responded quickly with a six-run top of the third and never looked back, scoring ten unanswered runs and winning the game 10-2. Berouty got the start pitching 4.2 innings and allowing seven earned runs. Freshman infielder Kayla Bock went 1-2 with a run.

Rutgers will look to bounce back and snap its seven-game losing streak when it goes to Columbus, Ohio to face off against Ohio State starting this Friday at 6 p.m.

For updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.