Rutgers men's lacrosse defeats Johns Hopkins 17-11 to claim season sweep

Graduate student attacker Adam Charalambides was 1 of 16 players honored on Senior Day.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers men’s lacrosse team finished on a 6-0 run on Senior Day to win its third straight game, beating Johns Hopkins 17-11 on Saturday afternoon. The win marked the third series sweep of a Big Ten opponent this season.

The Scarlet Knights (7-2, 7-2) got off to a fast start offensively, going on a 4-1 run in the opening 10 minutes. The Blue Jays (2-7, 2-7) answered back with 3 goals of their own to make it a tie game at the end of the first.

Rutgers regained the lead with 3 unanswered goals, but Johns Hopkins responded to bring the gap to 8-6 game at the half. The Blue Jays were able to tie the game up at 11 in the third quarter, but the Knights scored 6 unanswered to wrap up the game.

The Senior Day win saw contributions from several members of the 16 men senior class of Rutgers.

Offensively, 13 of the Knights’ 17 goals came from seniors and graduate students. Graduate student attacker Adam Charalambides led the team with 6 goals, tacking on two assists to finish with a team-high 8 points. Graduate student attacker Connor Kirst was right behind him with 4 goals and two assists, and fifth-year senior attacker Kieran Mullins had a 4-point outing with 2 goals and two assists. Senior midfielder Brennan Kamish found the back of the net once.

“Senior night is just a little bit more special," Charalambides said. "The boys played hard, you could see that energy. Each week, the process stays the same, and we keep getting better, our chemistry is growing and that's been huge coming down the stretch. I'm so thankful for my time here and the guys that have been a part of it.”

Rutgers also got a 2-goal game out of sophomore attacker Ross Scott and 1 goal each from junior midfielder David Sprock and junior midfielder Cole Daninger.

The Knights were able to control the game offensively by utilizing its extra possessions, outshooting Johns Hopkins by a 44-33 margin with a 28-26 advantage in shots on goal. 

“We started hitting our shots down the stretch. We were clicking and shooting well. It's great when we are playing well together and clicking like that, it's hard to stop,” Mullins said. “We'll keep building, one game at a time from here.”

Rutgers also won the ground ball battle 30-22, with the defense causing 17 turnovers over the course of the game. Graduate student goalkeeper Colin Kirst had 15 saves between the pipes on the day.

The Knights head into next Sunday’s regular-season finale at Michigan having already clinched second place, earning a bye to the Big Ten Tournament semifinals (which will be played on May 6).

“With what this senior class has been able to accomplish throughout their careers, their leadership on and off the field, I couldn't be happier for them to earn a great conference win at home on Senior Day,” said head men’s lacrosse coach Brian Brecht. “To play well, have some of our seniors step up huge was great.”

For updates on the Rutgers men's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.