Rutgers field hockey to play Northwestern in first round of Big Ten Tournament

Senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz looks to continue an award-winning season as the Rutgers field hockey team faces Northwestern in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Coming off two losses to Maryland over last weekend, the Rutgers field hockey team faces its next challenge at the Big Ten Tournament in Iowa City, Iowa.

In a path that will see it matched up with teams it beat in the regular season, it will be paired up against Northwestern in the first round. If it wins, it will play the winner of Ohio State and Penn State. A victory there will bring the team into the tournament finals. 

The Scarlet Knights (9-5, 5-4) earned four All-Big Ten honors this season, and head coach Meredith Civico earned Big Ten Co-Coach of the Year. Senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz and fifth-year senior midfielder Katie Larmour were awarded First Team All-Big Ten honors, while senior back Kerrie Burns and junior midfielder Milena Redlingshoefer earned Second Team All-Big Ten. 

This was the third straight First Team All-Big Ten for Glatz, who recorded career bests in goals-against-average with 1.41 and save percentage with .794 percent of shots saved. She was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week twice this season on top of a National Defensive Player of the Week.

Larmour earned First Team Big-Ten honors for the second time in her career. She led the team with seven assists that gave her 0.5 assists per game which made for first in the Big Ten.

Redlingshoefer leads the team with six goals and 17 points while being tied for second on the team in assists with five. This includes two game-winning goals on top of assisting two game-winners. Burns is a team captain and on the backline that allowed an average of one goal per game this season. She recorded a goal and four assists this season, starting in all 14 games this season.

The last two outings against the Wildcats (10-4, 5-3) went well for Rutgers, who earned its highest-ranked wins in program history with Northwestern being ranked four at the time. The defense was a big factor in those games, with the Knights winning despite the Wildcats leading in shots on goal and penalty corners in both of them.

Glatz recorded 12 saves in those two games. Rutgers scored two goals early in the first game, then proceeded to hold Northwestern to one goal for the remainder. The second game went to overtime with Larmour scoring the game-winning goal. 

Following a win over the Wildcats, the Knights would see the winner of a matchup between The Buckeyes (5-8, 5-8) and the Nittany Lions (7-6, 5-2). Rutgers defeated Ohio State in a 2-1 overtime game in the second game of the season as well as a week later in a 1-0 shutout. Against Penn State, the Knights recorded two shutouts, the first game 3-0 and the second 1-0.

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.