Rutgers field hockey ends season with two losses against Maryland

Junior back Liz Romano netted the opening goal in the weekend series as the Rutgers field hockey team lost two matchups with Maryland.  – Photo by Rutgers Field Hockey / Twitter

The Rutgers field hockey team had its winning streak snapped after suffering two losses to Maryland this weekend in its final games of the regular season.

The No. 6 Scarlet Knights (9-5, 5-4) finished the season with their highest ranking in program history as well as the most wins in the Big Ten since they joined the conference. Rutgers has not beaten the No. 12 Terrapins (8-6, 5-3) since 1998, and Maryland leads the all-time series 32-3-1.

Last Thursday, the Knights gave up the most goals they had all season, dropping the matchup 4-2. Rutgers scored the first goal of the game when reigning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week junior back Liz Romano got the rebound from a save and sent it into the net.

This was Romano's third straight game with a goal and her fifth goal of the season. A penalty corner in the second quarter would allow the Terrapins to even the score at 1-1. Just before the end of the first half, Maryland was awarded a penalty stroke which they capitalized on to take a 2-1 lead at halftime.

The Terrapins didn’t stop there, scoring again on a penalty corner in the third quarter for a 3-1 lead. They were able to increase that lead in the third quarter with a goal on yet another penalty corner, to make the score 4-1.

The Knights remained determined, with fifth-year senior midfielder Katie Larmour and senior back Kerrie Burns assisting junior midfielder Milena Redlingshoefer’s goal in the fourth quarter to make the score 4-2. Rutgers was unable to score again and lost the game.

On Saturday, it was Maryland who scored first. In the first 7 minutes, the ball found the back of the net to put the Terrapins up 1-0. Maryland was awarded a penalty stroke in the second quarter, but senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz made the save to prevent the Terrapins from scoring again. Glatz had six saves in the two matchups against Maryland.

The Terrapins held the lead through three quarters and into the fourth until Redlingshoefer scored off of a penalty stroke that was awarded to the Knights to tie the game at 1-1. The goal was Redlingshoefer’s sixth of the season and the most on the team. With under 4 minutes left, Maryland was able to record the final goal of the game, putting it up 2-1 before it eventually won. 

Rutgers finished in a four-way tie for third place in the Big Ten alongside Iowa, Northwestern and the Terrapins. It will head to Iowa City where it will be pitted against the Wildcats (10-4, 5-3) in the first round of the Big Ten Field Hockey Tournament. The game will be broadcasted on Big Ten Network on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.