Rutgers baseball set to start weekend series against Nebraska on Friday

Graduate student pitcher Brent Teller looks to keep his good season going as the Rutgers baseball team faces Nebraska this weekend.  – Photo by Rutgers Baseball / Twitter

The Rutgers baseball team will be going on the road to face Nebraska in a three-game series starting Friday at 7:30 p.m.

The Scarlet Knights (14-13, 14-13) are coming off of a successful weekend after taking 2 out of 3 on the road against No. 17 Michigan. 

In that series, Rutgers saw its pitching be the key to its success against the nationally-ranked Wolverines (19-9, 19-9) and will look to do that again this weekend. Last weekend, graduate student pitchers Ben Wereski and Brent Teller had standout performances for the Knights. Wereski worked into the seventh inning giving up only one run and striking out six whereas Teller had a no-hitter going till the seventh inning of his start. 

This caliber of pitching will be needed again against the Cornhuskers' (20-7, 20-7) offense that is batting .285 with 33 home runs on the season. 

Nebraska boasts hitters such as Jaxon Hallmark who is batting .355 on the season and Max Anderson who is batting .333 with five home runs. The Cornhuskers also bring Jack Steil to the plate who is leading the team in slugging percentage at .556

For Rutgers, junior infielder/outfielder Mike Nyisztor has emerged into the lineup as he continues to find his way on base with a .343 average and .465 on-base percentage. Nebraska’s attention will be turned towards freshman outfielder and three-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week winner Ryan Lasko. Lasko is currently tied at nine with sophomore infielder Chris Brito for the team leader in home runs.

Fifth-year senior infielder Danny DiGeorgio has been impactful for the Knights. Last series he tallied three hits with one home run and has had his presence felt back at shortstop making excellent plays for his team. 

Head baseball coach Steve Owens will likely hand the ball this Friday to junior left-handed pitcher Harry Rutkowski to start the series. Rutkowski will be looking to continue his success from his last start against Indiana where he went six innings while only giving up one run.

Wereski and Teller will be the next two starters for Rutgers in the series. Winning this series could put the Knights back on a hot streak to finish off the next month of the season.

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.