RUPD investigates theft of catalytic converters from vehicles on campus

Catalytic converters were cut from the undersides of various vehicles at the Busch Student Center and the Nichols Apartments on Busch campus and the Administrative Services Building II on Douglass campus. – Photo by Pixabay.com

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is investigating the theft of catalytic converters that were cut out of several vehicles in campus parking lots between April 3 and April 26, according to a University-wide email.

Catalytic converters are devices that reduce pollution from a car's exhaust gas. The thefts took place around the Busch Student Center and the Nichols Apartments on Busch campus and the Administrative Services Building II on Douglass campus.

The vehicles targeted included a Honda SUV, Toyota Prius and Ford vans and SUVs, according to the email. There have been numerous reports throughout the state of catalytic converters getting stolen from vehicles such as vans and SUVs, work trucks, recreational vehicles, box trucks and hybrid cars.

Anyone with information concerning these incidents or who may have been in the area during the period should contact the RUPD.

The RUPD told students to consider installing a security device for catalytic converters, adjusting their vehicle alarms to activate from vibrations, such as from sawing, parking in a garage or well-lit area and reporting suspicious activity to police.