No. 8 Rutgers field hockey ends season with loss to No. 5 Northwestern in Big Ten quarterfinals

Senior forward Kassidy Shetler provided an assist, but the Rutgers field hockey team had its Big Ten Tournament run ended in a loss to Northwestern. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers field hockey team capped off a historic season Wednesday with a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Northwestern. The No. 8 Scarlet Knights (9-6, 5-3) finished the season with an undefeated home record of 6-0 that included four wins over top 10 teams. Four Rutgers players also earned All-Big Ten honors, the most the program has had since joining the Big Ten.

The No. 5 seeded Wildcats (11-4, 5-3) were the first to score, recording a goal 6 minutes into the contest. Three straight penalty corners allowed Northwestern the opportunity to make the score 1-0. The third corner was sent to the top of the circle, where it was shot towards the net and tipped in.

Freshman forward Bridy Molyneaux tied up the game in the second period with her fourth goal of the season on the assist from senior forward Kassidy Shetler, who brought the ball alongside the back post to Molyneaux who sent it into the net. Four first-half saves from senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz helped keep the score 1-1 at halftime.

The Wildcats didn’t need much time in the second half to retake the lead, scoring just 3 minutes into the third quarter. The Knights earned a penalty corner which was blocked by Northwestern who was able to score in transition to make the score 2-1.

Two penalty corners and three shots in the fourth were not enough to bring Rutgers to victory. Despite a 10-6 advantage in shots as well as 7-3 in corners, the Wildcats won the game 2-1.

The Knights allowed just 16 goals in 15 games this season, out-scoring opponents 26-15 alongside five shutouts. The team was top 12 in all coaches polls this season, appearing as high as No. 6. They also had the program’s first undefeated home record since 1976.

Players on All-Big Ten teams include Glatz and fifth-year senior midfielder Katie Larmour who made First Team All-Big Ten. Team captain and senior back Kerrie Burns and junior midfielder Milena Redlingshoefer earned Second Team All-Big Ten honors. 

Head field hockey coach Meredith Civico was awarded Big Ten Co-Coach of the year alongside the head coach for Iowa. Named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week, junior back Liz Romano was honored with the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award.

Rutgers recorded its highest-ranked victories in program history when it beat then-ranked No. 4 Northwestern in two games. The Knights have gone 32-20 since 2018, recording 13 wins and 11 losses in the Big Ten. They will lose only one senior, with all four All-Big Ten honorees returning to the field next season.

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.