Rutgers women's lacrosse sweeps Ohio State in weekend games

Senior attacker Taralyn Naslonski recorded an assist, as the Rutgers women's lacrosse team completed a weekend sweep of Ohio State, winning the rematch 10-9. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers women's lacrosse team defeated Ohio State in back-to-back games this weekend. For the No. 24 Scarlet Knights (3-1, 3-1), their sweep of the Buckeyes (1-3, 1-3) capped their first wins since 2017 against a ranked opponent. In addition, their two wins extended their consecutive winning streak to three games in a row.

In the first game of this two-game set, Rutgers defeated Ohio State 12-9. After coming off a high-scoring game against Michigan, the Buckeyes’ offense was slowed down by the Knights’ defense. Sophomore goalkeeper Alonna Gliksman recorded 8 saves on 17 shots.

Rutgers managed a 17-6 advantage on the draw. The defense was led by sophomore defender Meghan Ball, who had a game-high seven draw controls. Ball’s play set the tone for the rest of the defense as they held the co-Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, Ohio State's Liza Hernandez, to just 2 goals.

On the offensive side of the ball, senior attacker Taralyn Naslonski and sophomore midfielder Cassidy Spilis combined for 9 of the team’s goals. Naslonski netted 5 goals and recorded an assist, while Spilis tacked on 4 more goals to seal the victory.

The second game of this series was a back-and-forth matchup until the end. In the first half, the Knights came out strong, but the Buckeyes kept coming back. At the end of the first half, Ohio State led 7-5, but Rutgers came out of the half scoring 3 goals, while not giving up a single one.

As the game went on, the Buckeyes found themselves down 10-9 with approximately 4 minutes left to play. The Ohio State defense found a way to force a Knights shot clock violation with a little more than a minute left, but its offense could not come back and score. For Rutgers, Spilis and sophomore attacker Jenna Byrne led the charge in the second game producing a hat trick each.

The Knights will look to continue their success this Friday at 3 p.m. when they play Michigan.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.