Rutgers women's lacrosse looking toward matchup with Michigan

Sophomore defender Meghan Ball looks to follow up an award-winning week as the Rutgers women's lacrosse team gets set for a weekend series against Michigan.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Following its sweep of Ohio State this past weekend, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team looks to continue its success against Michigan. As a result of their two victories, the Scarlet Knights (3-1-0, 3-1-0) have moved up 10 spots in the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association Coaches Poll. Their No. 14 ranking is the highest Rutgers has been ranked since they were named No. 18 in the 2010 season.

With three wins on the season so far, the Knights have earned their most regular-season wins in the Big Ten since joining the division in 2015. Rutgers will try and notch its third win at Michigan, but the Wolverines (0-3-0, 0-3-0) have been successful on their home turf. Michigan has not lost a game at home since its May 12, 2019 NCAA Tournament match with Denver.

The Wolverines come into the series with some talent on the offensive side of the ball. In its matchup with Maryland, Michigan’s offense was led by Kaitlyn Mead, who netted 5 goals and added two assists throughout the two games.

Nadine Stewart had a big offensive weekend by scoring 5 goals of her own. The Wolverines' offensive skill does not end with those two players, as Caitlin Muir has had at least 1 goal and one assist in each of Michigan's three games and has a .667 shots-on-goal percentage.

Although the Wolverines are strong offensively, the Knights have shown good defensive efforts in recent games. Rutgers found a way to slow down the Buckeyes' (1-3-0, 1-3-0) co-Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, Liza Hernandez.

In addition, sophomore defender Meghan Ball earned Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week after her outstanding play against Ohio State. Ball combined for 12 draw controls, seven ground balls and forced six turnovers over the span of two games.  Sophomores attacker Jenna Byrne and midfielder Cassidy Spilis hope to find the net again this weekend after scoring hat tricks against the Buckeyes.

The Knights continues their season this Friday at 3 p.m. against Michigan. On Sunday at 12 p.m., the series with the No. 21 Wolverines will conclude. Both games will be streamed live on the Big Ten Network Plus.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.