Rutgers men's soccer falls to Michigan

Sophomore goalkeeper Oren Asher made eight saves in the second half, but the Rutgers men's soccer could not provide any scoring against Michigan, losing 1-0 in overtime. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers men’s soccer team fell to No. 9 Michigan in overtime on Sunday. The Scarlet Knights (3-2-0, 3-2-0) came into the game after a win against Maryland last week. For the Wolverines (3-0-0, 3-0-0), it was their first time playing since Feb. 23, where they beat Michigan State.

Michigan's game-winning goal was netted by Bryce Blevins at 93:00. The Wolverines tested sophomore goalkeeper Oren Asher, where he had to make eight saves during the second half. 

For the third time this season, Rutgers ended up with 10 men on the field. This time it was freshman midfielder Francesco Scotti that was double yellow carded and left his team playing with a man down for the last 30 minutes of regular time. The team was also without junior defender Thomas DeVizio due to a red card situation in the game before.

“It was a tough call and I’m disappointed that one call can change the game like that,” said head men's soccer coach Jim McElderry about the red card.

The Knights have played a total of 109 minutes with 10 men so far through the five matches played. 

Michigan is the more dominant of the two teams, as Rutgers is 2-6-2 all-time against the Wolverines and 1-4-2 in Big Ten play. Heading into a new week, Michigan sits at first in the Big Ten and the Knights sit at third.

Rutgers will have a bye week next week, where it can train and focus for a rematch with rival Penn State next Monday. The Nittany Lions (2-1-0, 2-1-0) took the first matchup by a score of 2-1. 

"The guys played incredibly hard and were committed," McElderry said. "Unfortunately, it was another game where they just had to bare down, work, and defend going down to 10 men. We were really good in the first half and controlled the tempo."

For updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.