Rutgers men's soccer defeats Maryland

Senior forward Ritchie Barry scored both goals as the Rutgers men's soccer team defeated Maryland for the first time in 26 years. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers men’s soccer team took the field at home yesterday and walked off with a victory against Maryland. The game took place at the Sport Club Field on Busch campus, where the Scarlet Knights (3-1-0, 3-1-0) grabbed a 2-0 win. 

Coming into the game, the Big Ten foes had previously met 11 times, where Rutgers were 1-9-0 against the Terrapins (0-3-0,0-3-0). The Knights managed to get their first-ever win over Maryland since 1995.

Rutgers was able to secure a win, thanks to the two goals coming from senior forward Ritchie Barry. Barry found the back of the net in both halves, where his first goal was off a rebound from the Maryland goalkeeper on a shot he saved from a shot off of freshman forward Moussa Sbaly at 8:11 in the first half. Then in the second half, at 62:31, Barry slotted a 22-yard free kick home to put his team in front by 2 points. 

Sophomore goalkeeper Oren Asher had four saves to keep the Terrapins at 0 points, marking his third shutout of this season. 

The Knights missed two penalty kicks that could’ve extended their lead by 2, but one was hit wide of the net, and the other saved by the keeper.

During the course of the game, junior defender Thomas DeVizio was expelled at 52:07. DeVizio will not be able to play alongside Rutgers at the next match against Michigan.

Coming into the game, sophomore midfielder Jackson Temple was named the Big Ten Co-Offensive Player of the Week, due to his exceptional performances in the last few matches.

After the game, head men's soccer coach Jim McElderry spoke on behalf of the win and said, “We don’t worry too much about records in the past. We have a great group right now, and it’s the most competitive group I’ve ever coached.” 

The Knights are off to their best start since joining the Big Ten back in 2014. 

Rutgers is sitting in first place in the Big Ten standings heading into Thursday, with its next match being against the No. 9 Wolverines (2-0-0, 2-0-0) in Piscataway on Sunday. 

For updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.