Rutgers field hockey defeats Indiana, Ohio State

Junior forward Liz Romano provided a goal in the win over Indiana as the Rutgers field hockey team won both of its games this weekend.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers field hockey team swept the competition this weekend in Virginia Beach, Virginia, going 2-0 to start its season. Defeating Indiana 3-0 on Friday, followed by a 2-1 overtime victory over Ohio State, the Scarlet Knights (2-0-0, 2-0-0) saw goals scored by four different players. They will prepare for a Sunday rematch with the Buckeyes (0-1-0, 0-1-0).

After not playing a game for more than a year, Rutgers shut out the Hoosiers (0-2-0, 0-2-0) with early goals from junior forward Liz Romano and junior midfielder Milena Redlingshoefer, followed by the first career goal for freshman forward Bridy Molyneaux. The Knights held a 9-2 advantage in shots going into the half on top of a 7-0 penalty corner advantage.

Indiana was only able to get one shot off in the second half, compared to Rutgers’ 11. The Hoosiers had only 1 shot on goal of their 3, while the Knights had 12 shots on goal, and their opponents could only save 9. Indiana did not record any penalty corners. Senior midfielder Gracey Butsack notched a team-high two assists, while fifth-year senior midfielder Katie Larmour and junior midfielder Tayla Parkes each assisted one goal.

In the 3rd overtime match with Ohio State out of their last 4 meetings, Rutgers emerged victorious, with a score of 2-1 following a late goal from Redlingshoefer. The goal marked a career-high of 2 goals for Redlingshoefer, who led the team in scoring this weekend. 

Senior forward Kassidy Shetler scored the only goal of the first half, marking her 8th career goal. The Knights held the lead until the third period when the Buckeyes capitalized on a broken play to send a shot into the goal.

There were no more goals scored in regulation, sending the game into overtime. Rutgers was unable to convert two early penalty corners in overtime until Redlingshoefer sent in a shot to win the game and earn the Knights their second-straight win over Ohio State.

Rutgers led in the shots and shots on goal categories, earning two more than the Buckeyes in both. Senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz recorded four saves, while junior fullback Abby Regn notched a defensive save.

The Knights will travel back to Virginia Beach, Virginia this weekend for a pair of match-ups against Iowa and Ohio State. Their game against Iowa will be on Friday at 11 a.m., followed by a rematch on Sunday at 3 p.m. with the Buckeyes.

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.