No. 16 Rutgers women's lacrosse loses both games in weekend series against Michigan

Senior defender Dana Pena and the Rutgers women's lacrosse team dropped both of their weekend matchups against Michigan, with the No. 16 Scarlet Knights falling to 3-3 on the season.   – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The No. 16 Rutgers women’s lacrosse team dropped both games in its weekend series against Michigan.

The matchup between the Scarlet Knights (3-3, 3-3) and the Wolverines (2-3, 2-3) was a back and forth affair, with eight different lead changes and eight ties during the opening game. In the first half, Rutgers came out strong as sophomore midfielder Ashley Campo scored within the first couple of minutes. Michigan did not let an early goal hinder its momentum as it followed up with 3 unanswered goals of its own.

Sophomore goalie Alonna Gliksman recorded a season-high 10 saves in a single half. The rest of the game stayed close all the way through overtime. Senior defender Dana Pena came up big with a win on the opening draw but Knights could not take advantage of their offensive opportunity.

Although Gliksman came up with an incredible save to try and give Rutgers some life, Molly Garrett was right there to score an unassisted goal for the Wolverines.

In the second game of the series, the Knights lost 12-9. Led by senior attacker Taralyn Naslonski and junior attacker Marin Hartshorn, Rutgers’ determination got it within 1 goal in the second half after being down 4.

Michigan's defense found a way to stifle the Knights’ momentum. Rutgers was only able to add 2 more goals to the Wolverines' 4, sealing the deal for a Michigan win. The Wolverines' defense proved to be the key difference throughout this entire series.

They forced the Knights into 20 turnovers and had a 22-17 advantage on clears. Naslonski, Hartshorn and freshman midfielder Ashley Moynahan each had multiple goals in the loss. 

Heading into the break, Rutgers sits at three wins and three losses. According to the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association poll, the Knights are now ranked 16th overall. As they look to get back into the win column, their 12 day break gives Rutgers a nice opportunity to prepare for its upcoming matchup. 

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.