No. 15 Rutgers women's lacrosse falls to No. 3 Northwestern in weekend series

Senior attacker Taralyn Naslonski scored 3 goals, bringing her over the 100 career goal milestone. – Photo by Rutgers Women's LAX / Twitter

In a highly anticipated top 25 matchup between the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team and Northwestern, the No. 15 Scarlet Knights (3-5, 3-5) dropped both games to the No. 3 Wildcats (7-0, 2-0) in the weekend series.

Although the first game did not result in a win, Rutgers experienced a special milestone, as senior attacker Taralyn Naslonski scored 3 goals, including the 100th goal of her career

Naslonski set the tone for the first game of the series as she scored within the first 2 minutes of the matchup. The early deficit, though, did not slow down Northwestern’s momentum.

The Wildcats followed up with 3 consecutive goals of their own to take a 3-1 lead. Although Naslonski managed to get by Northwestern’s defense again to make it 3-2, the Wildcats generated an 8-1 scoring run to take control.

The Knights finished the first half with a strong defensive effort and a 4-0 scoring run, but they did not have much success for the rest of the game. Sophomore midfielder Cassidy Spilis netted 2 goals to contribute to the late offensive run in the first half.

In the second half, Northwestern held Rutgers to just 3 more goals to secure its first win of the series. The final score of the contest was 22-10 in favor of the Wildcats.

One standout Knight was sophomore defender Meghan Ball, who was all over the field as she forced a game-high four turnovers and added 2 goals of her own.

The second game of the series resulted in a loss for Rutgers as well. Junior attacker Marin Hartshorn and Naslonski manufactured 4 points each in the loss. With 4 more points added to her career stats, Naslonski is just 2 points away from cracking the program's top 10 scoring list.

This game included a couple of “firsts” for the Knights. Sophomore midfielder Lauren Ellis scored her first collegiate goal. Freshman goalkeeper Sophia Cardello also made her first collegiate start in the net.

Northwestern held Rutgers to 4 goals in the first half and just 3 goals in the second in a 21-7 victory. The Wildcats, one of the nation’s top-scoring offenses, went on large scoring runs in both games this weekend.

The Knights look to bounce back from their series with Northwestern on April 8, as it takes on No. 9 Maryland.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.