Former Rutgers basketball coach, commentator Joe Boylan dies at age 82

Joe Boylan, a former Rutgers basketball coach and longtime color commentator for the Scarlet Knights, spent approximately 50 years working with Rutgers Athletics.  – Photo by Kelly Carmack / Photo Editor

Joe Boylan, a former Rutgers basketball coach and longtime color commentator for the Scarlet Knights, died yesterday at the age of 82, according to an article from NJ Advance Media. He suffered a stroke on Wednesday and had been recovering from surgery when his condition worsened yesterday afternoon.

“He’ll be really missed. One of the greatest people I’ve been around — just a real special person,” said Rutgers head men's basketball coach Steve Pikiell, according to the article. “I’m sorry for his family for the loss. He’s a legend at Rutgers.”

During Boylan’s near 50-year career with Rutgers Athletics, he served as the associate head coach of the men’s basketball team from 1973 to 1985, and played an important role in the team’s March Madness Final Four run in 1976, according to the article.

Following the 1985 season, he proceeded to create the academic support staff in the Department of Athletics and began working as a color commentator to provide expert analysis during games, according to the article. After leaving Rutgers in 1991 to serve as the athletic director of Loyola University Maryland, Boylan returned in 2005 to rejoin the Rutgers radio team, where he continued to work until his death.

“Joe was one of the nicest men I have ever met,” said Jerry Recco, his radio partner, according to the article. “It was an absolute honor to work with him for the last five years and to call him my friend. It’s heartbreaking. I’ll miss him dearly.”