Beginner to fitness? Here's how to get started

When it comes to building a fitness routine, the possibilities seem endless. Luckily, there are hundreds of apps and videos for beginners that can help you get started. – Photo by Wikimedia.org

Since the start of quarantine, people have found many fun and exciting ways to work out, and if you’re a beginner, this is the perfect time for you to start getting active. While at home, you can experiment and find what’s best for you.

Working out at first can seem dreadful and hard. You might even feel unmotivated during the first few days, but that's okay. You don’t want to push yourself into something you’re not completely used to, which is why I’m sharing with you fun workout routines that you can do in the comfort of your home. They are guaranteed to make you feel great after and get you more active and in better shape.

To get started, I highly recommend downloading two applications: FitOn and Workout for Women. These two apps are both available on the Apple App Store, free to download and perfect if you don't know where to start. FitOn even has a website that has hundreds of different workouts for free. All you have to do is make an account.

I also recommend using YouTube for making your routine. The site has millions of workout videos and hundreds of fitness instructors to choose from, making it a perfect place to go get active. I especially love POPSUGAR Fitness, so be sure to subscribe to their channel and check out their workouts too!

Getting organized is an essential part of reaching your fitness goals. If you don't know where to start, here's an easy, five-day workout schedule you can follow:

Mondays: All HIIT, No Quit by Breanne Mitchell on FitOn

High-intensity interval training, better known as HIIT, is a great way to burn calories and lose fat. This is an 18-minute HIIT cardio workout that will not only get your body and mind active but will also leave you sweating and ready for the rest of the day.

I guarantee that after completing this workout you will feel so good about yourself. Plus, it's a great way to create a positive start for the rest of your week.

Tuesday: Booty Shaper Workout & 10-minute Butt Workout on Workout for Women

Who doesn’t want a nice-looking booty? There are many ways to work out your glutes, but my personal favorite is the Booty Shaper.

This is an intermediate-level 15-minute workout (don't let the word intermediate scare you —it's designed for beginners too), so if you challenge yourself, you can get a really good booty workout in.

In addition to the Booty Shaper, you'll also be doing the 10-minute Butt workout. This one is labeled for beginners, and it's a quick 10-minute workout to further activate the glutes.

And if you really want to amp up your booty workouts, try using resistance bands! They're not necessary, but if you can get some, I would highly recommend them.

Wednesday: 30-Minute No-Equipment Cardio and Strength-Conditioning Workout on POPSUGAR Fitness

This workout is super fun and will leave you sweating and out of breath! On Wednesday, you might feel unmotivated since it's the middle of the week, but what I love about this workout is that it doesn’t feel like a workout.

This routine will boost your mood while also working your body, and you'll feel super pumped after you finish. POPSUGAR Fitness has hundreds of fitness videos on their channel, so feel free to find and do other workouts that interest you.

Thursday: Abs-olute by Mike Peele on FitOn and Total Abs on Workout for Women

By now, you've done your cardio and worked out your glutes. Now, it's time to work the abs.

On Thursdays, you'll be doing an 18-minute core routine comprised of two workouts. The first workout is called Abs-olute by Mike Peele on FitOn. This is a very quick but effective workout. Trust me, you'll feel your abs burning!

The next workout will be Total Abs on Workout for Women. This is an intermediate workout, but once again, don't let that discourage you. It's only 10 minutes and easy to follow, so be sure to challenge yourself.

Friday: Tabata on FitOn/YouTube

End your week with this fun and quick workout. You may want to start the weekend early and forget about your workout, but you can't miss this! It's called Tabata, and it's super quick, fun and will work, leaving you feeling energized and ready for the weekend.

Congrats! You finished your first week of working out. Now, you can officially have a break and enjoy your weekend. Don’t forget to get right back into it the following Monday and get into the hang of working out and feeling more active and comfortable.

Feel free to explore and try new workouts, whether it's on the FitOn app, Workout for Women app or Youtube. There are plenty of workouts out there, so there's something for everybody.