Rutgers wrestling loses meet to Purdue, Minnesota

Graduate student 141-pounder Sebastian Rivera secured a 7-6 victory against Purdue. – Photo by The Daily Targum

The Rutgers wrestling team hosted Big Ten opponents Purdue and Minnesota in a tri-meet Sunday afternoon, taking losses at the hands of both teams. The No. 20 Scarlet Knights (0-4, 0-4) were defeated by the No. 19 Boilermakers (2-3, 1-0) by a score of 18-15 and then were beaten by the No. 15 Golden Gophers (4-2, 4-2) shortly after by a score of 21-18.

Rutgers got off to a rocky start against Purdue after redshirt sophomore 125-pounder Nicolas Aguilar was pinned in the second period by Devin Schroder. This would not be the last time the Knights started the bout trailing 6-0, as they would see Aguilar pinned again in the following match against Minnesota.

“You shouldn’t get pinned at this level, I believe ... (You) can’t start the dual meet down six,” said wrestling head coach Scott Goodale.

Sophomore 133-pounder Sammy Alvarez put Rutgers on the board with a decision, followed by graduate student 141-pounder Sebastian Rivera, who secured a 7-6 victory to tie up the match with the Boilermakers. Purdue answered back with three straight wins at 149 pounds, 157 pounds and 165 pounds.

Sophomore 174-pounder Jackson Turley snapped the losing streak for the Knights with a 6-2 decision. Turley also won in his match against the Golden Gophers, posting a technical fall against Jake Allar.

“You’ll certainly see him next week, for sure ... He's fun to watch (and) exciting,” Goodale said.

Freshman 184-pounder John Poznanski followed with another win, defeating Max Lyon of the Boilermakers. He would go on to lose a 6-4 decision against Owen Webster.

“We expect a lot from (Poznanski)," Goodale said. “He really wrestled well (and) put himself and the team in a position to win.”

Redshirt sophomore 197-pounder Billy Janzer went 1-1 on the day. After losing a 4-0 decision to Purdue’s Thomas Penola, Janzer got the victory against Minnesota, winning 6-4. 

Redshirt sophomore 285-pounder Boone McDermott also posted a 1-1 record Sunday. After a 3-1 victory over the Boilermakers, McDermott took a loss to the Golden Gophers' consensus No. 1 heavyweight in the country Gable Steveson.

Rutgers will look for their first win Saturday in a quad-meet with Indiana, Michigan State, and Nebraska.

For more updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.