Rutgers women's lacrosse set for pair of weekend matchups against Ohio State

The Rutgers women's lacrosse team looks to follow up its first ever win against John Hopkins with a ranked victory over Ohio State. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Following its first win in program history against John Hopkins, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team looks to continue its success this weekend against Ohio State. The No. 24 Scarlet Knights (1-1, 1-1) will play a two-game series at home against the No. 19 Buckeyes (1-1, 1-1), who lost their first game to Northwestern but bounced back with a huge victory over No. 9 Michigan this past Sunday.

Ohio State is led by the co-Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, Liza Hernandez. Last game, Hernandez tied her career-high with 6 goals and had a career-best 10 draw controls. Her contributions on the field helped propel her team past the Wolverines (0-1, 0-1).

For Rutgers, sophomore goalkeeper Alonna Gliksman looks to join the 100-saves club, with her needing just three saves to reach this milestone. Senior attacker Taralyn Naslonski is on pace to join the 100-goals club this season. She currently has 88 goals throughout her career and needs just 12 more to accomplish this achievement.

Sophomore midfielder Cassidy Spilis has scored 11 goals on 12 shots this year, placing her second in the Big Ten. Her scoring has been efficient, with her owning the top shooting percentage in the Big Ten and shooting 7-for-7 last game. In addition, junior attacker Marin Hartshorn and sophomore midfielder Ashley Campo notched 2 goals each in their victory against the Blue Jays (0-1, 0-1).

Head women's lacrosse coach Melissa Lehman hopes to build off of her first Big Ten victory with two wins against the rival Buckeyes. Lehman has helped bring the Knights to a national ranking, the first time since March 26, 2013, that the program has been ranked.

In the all-time series between the two programs, Ohio State leads 4-3, including a victory in their last matchup. Rutgers last won in 2017, defeating the Buckeyes in Piscataway.

The teams will meet this weekend on Friday at 3 p.m. and Sunday at 12 p.m., with both games being available to stream through Big Ten Network Plus.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.