NBPD investigates carjacking, aggravated assault

The victim was assaulted by a group of male perpetrators with a sharp object following a dispute. The perpetrators then stole the victim's car and fled the area. – Photo by Wikimedia.org

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) is investigating a carjacking and aggravated assault, which was reported to have taken place on Sunday at approximately 3:00 a.m. near French and Paterson Streets, according to a University-wide email alert. 

The victim, who is not affiliated with the University, reported that upon having a verbal altercation with a group of unidentified males in another township, his vehicle was then followed by the men to New Brunswick, according to the email. 

When the victim stopped his car, the perpetrators assaulted him with a sharp object and proceeded to flee the scene in the victim’s vehicle, according to the email. The victim was treated at a nearby hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, and his car was later found unoccupied.

The perpetrators’ physical descriptions are currently limited, though their vehicle was described as a gray SUV, potentially being either a Honda CR-V or Volvo, according to the email.

Anyone with information concerning the incident or who may have been in the area at the time should reach out to the NBPD's Detective Bureau. 

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) reminded students to practice safety precautions including staying alert, reporting suspicious activity and walking in groups at night. The RUPD will also issue security escorts to students, staff and faculty upon their request to the police communications center, according to the email.