NBPD arrests suspect involved in attempted abduction

The Rutgers University Police Department advised students to take various safety precautions following this incident, including walking in groups at night.  – Photo by Pixabay.com

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) recently arrested the suspect involved in a previous report of an attempted abduction, according to a University-wide email.

The suspect, 41-year-old Gary P. Prichard, Jr., of New Brunswick, was arrested on Friday following an investigation conducted by the NBPD, according to the email. 

Prichard is facing charges of attempted kidnapping and possession of an imitation firearm, according to the email. 

The Daily Targum previously reported the incident, which occurred at approximately 11:30 p.m. last Monday on Easton Avenue between Bristol and Prospect Streets. The victim, who is not affiliated with Rutgers, was walking down the street when the suspect drove up next to her, flashed a gun and demanded she got in the car. 

Increased police patrols will continue to occur in the area, and the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) will provide security escorts to students, staff and faculty upon their request to the police communications center, according to the email. 

The RUPD said students should take numerous safety precautions, including being aware of their surroundings, avoiding isolated or dark areas, walking in groups at night and reporting suspicious activity to police, according to the email.