Rutgers professors receive lifetime fellows distinction for scientific work

Kenneth D. Irvine, distinguished professor in the Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry and interim director of Rutgers’ Waksman Institute of Microbiology, Charles Weschler, an adjunct professor at Rutgers’ Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute, Brian L. Strom, the chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences and executive vice president for Health Affairs and Hui Xiong, a professor in the Department of Management Science and Information Systems, were selected for this distinction. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

Four Rutgers professors were recently chosen to become fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), a lifetime distinction granted by their organization peers, according to an article from Rutgers Today. 

AAAS is the world’s largest multidisciplinary scientific society and publisher of Science, one of the world’s leading academic journals, according to the AAAS website. The title of AAAS Fellow distinguishes those who have been recognized for their important contributions to science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines. 

Kenneth D. Irvine, distinguished professor in the Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry and interim director of Rutgers’ Waksman Institute of Microbiology, was recognized by AAAS for contributions to the field of developmental biology, particularly in his understanding of mechanisms influencing organ growth, according to the article.

Charles Weschler, an adjunct professor at Rutgers’ Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute, was elected as a fellow for his contributions to the field of indoor chemistry, specifically in his understanding of indoor pollutants, according to the article.

Brian L. Strom, the chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences and executive vice president for Health Affairs, was recognized for distinguished contributions to pharmacoepidemiology, the study of pharmaceutical use and its effects on populations, according to the article.

Hui Xiong, a professor in the Department of Management Science and Information Systems, was selected for his achievements in the data mining and mobile computing fields, according to the article.

The Rutgers AAAS fellows will join 485 other new honorees in a virtual induction ceremony on Feb. 13, 2021, according to the article.