Rutgers guard Geo Baker named to Bob Cousy Award watchlist

Senior guard Geo Baker has averaged 11.3 points and 3.4 assists through 92 games. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Senior guard Geo Baker of the Rutgers men's basketball team has been named to the 2021 Bob Cousy Award Watch List. The award honors the top point guard in the country.

Baker could find himself on a list that includes 2019 winner and Memphis Grizzlies point guard Ja Morant, who was this year’s NBA Rookie of the Year, and Boston Celtics point guard Kemba Walker, who won the award in 2011. 

Bob Cousy played at the College of the Holy Cross and helped lead the Crusaders to three NCAA tournaments. He also won the 1947 title.

Cousy earned a selection to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He was twice named the NBA's Most Valuable Player and is a 13-time All-Star, six-time NBA Champion and eight-time league leader in assists. 

Stepping onto campus in the 2017-18 season, Baker immediately impacted the team. He started 29 of 33 games at guard while averaging 10.8 points and 2.2 rebounds per game. He recorded 57 assists and 35 steals and won the Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association Rookie of the Year Award. 

He has averaged 11.3 points and 3.4 assists through 92 games. He also has 117 career steals with a 3.4 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Baker came to the Scarlet Knights being ranked the No. 5 student-athlete in New Hampshire in 2017, according to the New England Recruiting Report, and was a three-star recruit by ESPN. 

“Preseason means nothing good or bad. I appreciate all the love,” Baker said.

For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.