Rutgers football takes second loss of season

Rutgers will look to bounce back from its 49-27 loss to Ohio State. – Photo by The Daily Targum

The Rutgers football team fell to Ohio State on Saturday 49-27. 

In the seven times that the teams have met, the No. 3 Buckeyes (3-0, 3-0) won each matchup with the Scarlet Knights (1-2, 1-2). On Saturday, Ohio State's main force was Justin Fields, who tallied three passing touchdowns in the first half.

In the first quarter, Fields threw a 38-yard touchdown pass to Jameson Williams. After, Rutgers got its first 3 points on a field goal by sophomore kicker Guy Fava, who closed out the Knights' 63-yard scoring drive.

The Buckeyes scored 28 points in the second quarter, holding Rutgers to none. Fields tallied a rushing touchdown and also a passing touchdown on a drive that saw a fake punt

Senior defensive lineman Julius Turner recorded two tackles for losses before the second half.

Coming into the third quarter, the Knights faced a 35-3 deficit.

Junior running back Isaih Pacheco took a snap for Rutgers and rushed 66 yards to Ohio State's four-yard line. 

Senior quarterback Noah Vedral then found junior offensive lineman Raiqwon O’Neal for a 4-yard touchdown. After, Fields threw another touchdown pass, extending the Buckeyes' lead to 42-9 with 4 minutes and 49 seconds left in the third quarter. 

At the start of the fourth quarter, junior quarterback Johnny Langan completed a 6-yard touchdown pass to senior tight end Jovani Haskins, capping a 65-yard drive. The score was now 42-15.

After a three and out from Ohio State, the Knights scored on a 58-yard punt return, which saw a lateral from junior defensive back Avery Young.

The Buckeyes scored after a recovered onside kick, increasing their lead to 49-21 with 11 minutes and 15 seconds left in the game.

Langan scored on a one-yard touchdown run late in the game. Rutgers trailed in almost every offensive category.

The Knights will look for a win against Illinois on Saturday at home.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.