Rutgers expert discusses record high temperatures for November in NJ

David Robinson, distinguished professor in the Department of Geography and New Jersey State climatologist, said Nov. 8 was the latest in the fall season that New Brunswick reached 80 degrees since 1912. – Photo by Courtesy of David Robinson

With above average temperatures expected for the rest of November, this month will be among New Jersey’s warmest Novembers on record, said David Robinson, distinguished professor in the Department of Geography and New Jersey State climatologist.

The first half of this month saw temperatures approximately five degrees above average, resembling mid-October temperatures, he said.

“There was a seven-day period from (Nov. 5) to (Nov. 11) where the high temperature in New Brunswick reached at least 70 (degrees) each day,” Robinson said. “Most remarkably, record high temperatures were set on four straight days (Nov. 7-10), with highs from start to finish of 77, 80, 78 and 76 (degrees).”

Nov. 8 was the latest in the fall season that New Brunswick reached 80 degrees since 1912, he said. He said the four-day run of record temperatures is unusual in that only two other four day runs have previously occurred in Jan. 13-16, 1932, and Aug. 28-31, 1953, according to a press release. There was also a six-day run of record high temperatures in June 2-7, 1925.

Robinson said the cause for this month’s warm temperatures is the buckling of the polar jet stream to the north of New Jersey.

“This has permitted the frequent establishment of high pressure over our region and with it both a general absence of cold air filtering into the region and a tendency for milder air to settle into the eastern half of the country,” he said.

Robinson said it is unusual that the past three Novembers in New Jersey have had below average temperatures in the current state trend of warmer temperatures throughout the year. The last November with warm temperatures took place in 2015, which is New Brunswick’s warmest on record.

In 2015, Nov. 3-7 had high temperatures between 67 and 76 degrees, Nov. 16 reached 70 degrees and Nov. 28 had a day record high of 67 degrees, he said.

“Whether this November surpasses 2015 for a record remains uncertain but it will be worth watching to see if it gives 2015 a run for its money,” Robinson said.