LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stronger leadership required to pass stimulus

Millions to suffer without new COVID-19 stimulus

A robust stimulus package is essential for securing American lives and jobs. Millions of Americans will face eviction without an expansion of the state eviction moratorium.   – Photo by pixabay.com

We were heartened to read Akhil Dwasari’s plea in his column, "Americans cannot wait until January for stimulus bill," for the passage of a robust coronavirus disease (COVID-19) stimulus package now! We are advocates with Raise Your Voice to End Poverty (RESULTS), a non-partisan advocacy organization for the end of poverty, here in the U.S. and abroad. 

It is reported that more than 12 million renters in the U.S. could owe an average of $5,400 in back rent by December. Millions therefore will face eviction when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) moratorium ends in December. There is some possible good news here in New Jersey if Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) extends the state eviction moratorium, but at some point, rent will have to be paid.

This is particularly challenging in New Jersey, which has one of the highest median rental costs in the U.S. We call for at least $100 billion in rental assistance in the next stimulus package.

On the global side, there is a need to strengthen healthcare systems to address the COVID-19 pandemic as well as other infectious diseases, as well as hunger and malnutrition. It is projected that global health could be set back 10-20 years.

Millions of children and adults could die from lack of healthcare, malnutrition and disease without additional resources. As well, extreme poverty is rising due to the impact of COVID-19.

We support at least $20 billion in international relief that will address infectious diseases and nutrition. We urge our New Jersey representatives and senators to work together to push for the next much-needed response to address the dire present and to prevent a worse future. Now is the time to exercise leadership to get it done!              

Yuliza Avelar is a Rutgers University Class of 2018 alumnus.

Alison Chomsky is a Rutgers University Class of 2020 alumnus.

Sandhya Shankar is a School of Graduate Studies student.

Wilma Solomon is a Rutgers University Class of 1969 alumnus. 

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.