Rutgers football transfers impact matchup with Michigan State

Senior quarterback Noah Vedral is currently starting for Rutgers in his first year with the program. – Photo by Noah Vedral / Instagram

The Rutgers football team signed a number of transfers this offseason.

Some had success in the Rose Bowl games.

Senior safety Brendon White, who was coached by head football coach Greg Schiano at Ohio State, won defensive most valuable player (MVP) in the 2019 Rose Bowl, finishing with eight tackles and an interception to prevent a two-point conversion. Junior wide receiver Aron Cruickshank, who transferred from Wisconsin, returned a kickoff 95 yards for a touchdown in the 2020 Rose Bowl against Oregon. 

The transfer portal brought an immediate impact to the Scarlet Knights (1-0). Many of the signings were on the field for Rutgers’ victory over Michigan State on Saturday. The offense was led by senior quarterback Noah Vedral, who transferred after two seasons at Nebraska. He threw for 169 yards and his first passing touchdown since his freshman year. On the ground, Vedral ran for 24 yards and added a touchdown. 

“I really believe in coach Schiano,” Vedral said, according to On the Banks. “He was one of the first people to call me when my name entered the portal. A little bit of shell shock, because I knew the name (and) what he had been to this program.”

Along with Vedral, Cruickshank started in his first game with the Knights, catching four passes for 43 yards. He also was part of the special teams unit, returning two kickoffs for 55 yards and two punts for 12 yards. 

Vedral had another transfer receiving target starting in senior tight end Jovani Haskins. A graduate transfer, Haskins came to the Banks after playing at West Virginia and Miami. He registered one catch and six yards in East Lansing, working mainly as a blocking tight end. 

On the offensive line, junior guard Cedrice Paillant started. He is a Junior College transfer, coming to Rutgers after spending two seasons at Monroe. 

White started, intercepting a pass in the last minute. He also recovered a fumble

On the defensive line, senior defensive tackles Malik Barrow and Michael Dwumfour as well as junior defensive lineman Mayan Ahanotu saw the field. Dwumfour, a Michigan transfer, recorded five tackles, including a fourth-down stop in the third quarter. Ahanotu and Barrow, who transferred from Minnesota and Central Florida, respectively, did not record any stops during the game. 

“We are going to chop every moment, every opponent,” Vedral said. “This place feels like home.”

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.