NFC East playoff campaign review after Eagles-Giants matchup

The Giants' playoff hopes are dwindling after their latest loss. – Photo by New York Giants / Twitter

On Thursday, the New York Giants played the Philadelphia Eagles. The Giants started the game with a 1-5 record and the Eagles stood at 1-4-1. Though New York led 14-10 by the third quarter, the game ended 22-21 with a Philadelphia win.

The Giants saw the return of wide receiver Sterling Shepard, who suffered a toe injury earlier in the season. He tallied 59 yards and 1 touchdown. New York quarterback Daniel Jones had an 80-yard run, ending up at the 8-yard line. Late in the game, Jones threw a pass intended for tight end Evan Engram, but it fell incomplete.

Also, the Giants had possession of the ball with 40 seconds left to play, but Jones was sacked and fumbled the ball.

In Week 6, New York won its first game of the season, a 1-point victory over the Washington Football Team.

There has been a lack of winning in the National Football Conference (NFC) – Eastern Division.

The performances of the Dallas Cowboys, Eagles, Giants and Washington Football Team could allow for a team with a low number of wins to qualify for the playoffs. After losing Thursday, New York sits at the bottom of the division.

There have also been injuries to notable players. The Giants lost running back Saquon Barkley in Week 2, and the Cowboys lost quarterback Dak Prescott from an ankle injury in Week 5.

New York will play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Nov. 2.